Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
It’s an older Conn before they used rolled toneholes. Has no micro tuner and the G key has two pads instead of one. Probably low pitch but would want to double check.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,888 Posts
it is very nearly and antique too ( they must refer to the patent date bearing the date 8 December 1914 which many people non saxophone people believe to be the production date).

Soon these saxophones will pass their 100 years from production and be definable an antique.

·
Registered
122 Posts
That is possibly a C melody, judging from the relative size of the hand holding it. Or the seller may have small hands. My friend has a C melody very similar to this one except his is absolutely mint, and has the original case, also mint condition. It was appraised at $700 three years ago by the auctioneer he bought it from (for considerably less) if that helps you assign a value.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is possibly a C melody, judging from the relative size of the hand holding it. Or the seller may have small hands. My friend has a C melody very similar to this one except his is absolutely mint, and has the original case, also mint condition. It was appraised at $700 three years ago by the auctioneer he bought it from (for considerably less) if that helps you assign a value.
Appreciate the comment, that might well be a C-melody, and that's probably what threw me off when looking at the photographs. If it were in the neighborhood, I might think about it but based on the location, I would probably burn 3 hours of driving and 1/2 tank of gas. And C-melody's don't move, I see enough really nice ones starting around $250.- but... prices start to go up for those as well.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I’m pretty sure it’s an alto. I have a conn C-Melody and they look more stretched to me. Also the older Conn C melody’s had a Tenor shaped neck. I probably wouldn’t drive that far for this one either.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,221 Posts
Looks like an alto to me as well.
From a female prospective, it's a very pretty horn. If they came down a little on the price I could be tempted to take a chance on it. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts