Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im missing the Pivot screws for my C# Pinky key, held on with nails right now. I took it to my tech and we tried every screw we could find. Screws off an old Aristocrat Tenor, screws off a Bundy Bari.. no luck. They look the same as normal size Buescher Pivot Screws, but are about 1/4 longer. My Tech wants to use Selmer style pointed pivot screws, but id prefer to use the original kind. Anyone got any suggestions?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
I have some old pivots but I have no idea of what the Bari uses. I can send you one that fits a C Melody, Alto, Tenor but not sure. Take one out and measure the total length head to end.

·
21,034 Posts
Send me an address and I will send one. I tried it in a C Melody I was working on and it is the same so it should work. I think these work on most Bueschers.
Same price as I paid.....$Zero.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No the ones for the Bari are 1/4 again longer than all the other pivots available, the ones from the tenor barely poked out the other side of the post. We could not find one long enough to be cut down except for the Selmer style ones, which are the wrong shape.

·
21,034 Posts
The Buescher ones are half threaded and then have a straight shaft for the key to ride on. I think the Selmer ones referred to are cone shaped. Whenever I have a problem like this I usually put the "wrong" one at a point where it will not interfere with a pad seat. It is better to have a wobble at a lever than at a pad. A good place to use phoney ones is where the side C key lever is.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,404 Posts
Buescher Bari Pivot Screws are longer but I believe they are the same diameter. remember that Buescher pivot screws are straight and not tapered. That means they do not need to bottom out in the key. Unlike the new Bundy screws which are rounded a little at the end, the end of the Buescher Screws are have square edge. This makes bottoming them out in the key even more difficult and impractical. So, length should not matter unless the original screw was bent and wore a larger hole in the key end.

Tapered pivot screws allow a key to be short and worn and still work. Straight pivots force the tech to fit the keys the same as they would any hinge rod keys. You can use a straight pivot that is shorter than the original as long as there is no play in the key and the key fits tight between the post. That said, this is true even when installing the original, correct length, pivot screws on Bueschers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts