Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,013 Posts
I don't think either of us were overly harsh with the kid, and certainly not out of any desire to be deliberately mean...(though we usually get accused of being so in situations like this). Sometimes the obvious just has to be stated.
Quite honestly, you were both deliberately mean.....and it's also usually the situation that when adults do that, they then try to rationalize it.

You were both as presumptuous as the poster you were criticizing, is all....so it's hard for the kettle to take the pot seriously in these instances...

:mrgreen:eek:ne good thing about SOTW, it makes kids wise up/grow up fast.:mrgreen:
...and it makes adults regress into children, at least occasionally.....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,620 Posts
cang559 - most of the best players I know are playing on well-worn old horns. Sure, shiny is nice. But past the first 10 minutes or so, a crappy shiny horn will make you feel less good than a good, solid horn that may not be so pretty. Making appearance of the horn one of the criteria you use is fine; making it the main one is misguided, at least if you want to play it rather than look at it.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
oh ive never heard of russ becker but i would get a selmer before that brand [Bauhaus Walstein], but please give your opinions.
cang559,

I provided the link to Russ Becker's Bauhaus Walstein page because it's generally regarded as a good value among new horns. Lots of people here have provided positive comments about them. The Bauhaus Walstein Russ sells for $875 is marked as a "professional" instrument, whereas the instruments you referenced from WWBW are "student" horns (although see this thread about the Prelude). The aforementioned Bauhaus Walstein is made in China to reduce labor costs. Most new student horns are also produced in non-Japanese Asia (often China) for the same reason.

You mentioned a preference for Selmer over Bauhaus Walstein, but you should understand that they're not in the same price category. A good used Selmer (Paris) alto (e.g. Serie II) will cost over $2000. Don't be fooled by the student instruments that bear the Selmer name. Selmer Paris is the well-known French saxophone manufacturer of which you're thinking, but it is a different company than that which produces the student horns.

Phil Barone sells new saxes from Taiwan that might suit your price range. Lots of people here like them. Check out his webpage here.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
first i dont get money, second im not complaining , third i know times are hard, fourth im not insulting my dad im just saying that there is absolutely no budge i the budget, it probably needs to be lowered about 200 because of the circumstances, fifth taking the sax to the shop would be about 3 weeks at my school and theres a lot planned happening at this time so i can not miss out, and my dad did the best that he could at the moment (he didn't use super glue that was a damn joke.

And for all the people that think that im spoiled please email me your daily life ill tell you mine which im still trying to balance ( no time for video games even if i had any)

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
first i dont get money, second im not complaining , third i know times are hard, fourth im not insulting my dad im just saying that there is absolutely no budge i the budget, it probably needs to be lowered about 200 because of the circumstances, fifth taking the sax to the shop would be about 3 weeks at my school and theres a lot planned happening at this time so i can not miss out, and my dad did the best that he could at the moment (he didn't use super glue that was a damn joke.

And for all the people that think that im spoiled please email me your daily life ill tell you mine which im still trying to balance ( no time for video games even if i had any)
Yes, this thread seems to have gotten a bit out of hand. I hope you did find some useful information, though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
yeah i was about to edit some of it 2 mins after i posted but this will do. thank you for the useful links guys it will help in picking a lot, Jayepdx if we ca email about some stuff later on id like that very much

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.