Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,620 Posts
Buying a sax here would be so much easier if thats allowed, but then again my dads cheap. if i were to get a used horn i would need to get something that looks like it was never touched.
You can buy a sax from individuals or dealers who list them here (check out the "Marketplace" for listings). As with most things, the cheapest may not be a bargain, especially off of eBay, where the cheapest horns often need 2 or 3 times their purchase price in repairs/adjustments. (I have one of those...)

Is it you or your dad who wants it to look like new? Because you can often get a better horn for a cheaper price if it doesn't look as good.

·
2,620 Posts
Oh, and JayePDX's list of bargain horns is pretty good. Some of those are very obscure brands nowadays, which is why they tend to be more of a bargain.

·
2,620 Posts
cang559 - most of the best players I know are playing on well-worn old horns. Sure, shiny is nice. But past the first 10 minutes or so, a crappy shiny horn will make you feel less good than a good, solid horn that may not be so pretty. Making appearance of the horn one of the criteria you use is fine; making it the main one is misguided, at least if you want to play it rather than look at it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts