Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have a really bad school sax right no, its a yamaha and its really old. the neck is broken but my dad fixed most of it (super glue!!!!) . any way i was wondering what sax i should buy because i hate this one, Ove been really intrested in the cannon ball series and talked a bit to the horn shop on facebook and they said its about 850 beg,1450 i think int or pro. My dads cheap and probably gunna get pissed if i say that price( he might think a sax is like $100) so could any one tell me a god brand or good dealers on ebay that can sell a good sax. if its used less than 400 if new less than 1000

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,013 Posts
Quite honestly...really...if you wanna buy a good, solid new sax...talking brand-new with warranty and all....for 1g....you may be able to get something in an Alto, but a Tenor...no, really not.

The one noted above has been a go-to suggestion for a while now. This article may help you out a bit:

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Ultra_Cheap_horns.htm

$400 for a used Alto can get you something quite good...not just decent or passable, but darn good. For a used Tenor...$400...which plays well w/ no problems ?...eh...you are walking the razor's edge of "are-you-outta-yer-mind?"

If it's a used Tenor you speak of, you need to pony up $500 for a good one in good playing shape.

I would quite honestly argue that if you are gonna spend a relatively low number for a new horn (and $1g is a low # for a new instrument)...a used horn for that same price will give you 3x the amount of instrument.

If Alto:

i.e. $1000 buys you the BW, ...or it buys you a vintage Conn 6M, Buescher 400, King Zeph, a Beaugnier-made instrument (older Vito or a Noblet, for example), vintage Keilwerth or Kohlert, even an old Yanagisawa A5 or A6, etc ...all top-shelf, professional instruments...and lets you walk away with a lotta pocket change to boot.

Or $600 gets you a brand-new selmer prelude...but it also gets you a Martin Indiana, King Cleveland, Buescher Aristocrat, Holton 465 or 230, Conn 50M or 7M, Yani A4 stencil...and (again) some pocket change.

In both examples... the latter horns are significantly superior to the former.

Just something to consider.

To answer your question more directly:

Good used brands for around $400 Alto:

Conn 50M, Vito France or Kenosha, older Kohlert or J. Keilwerth stencil, Martin Indiana, King Cleveland, Holton, Malerne stencil, Olds Parisian Ambassador

Tenor for $500-ish:

Conn 16M, Martin Indiana, King Cleveland, Buescher Elkhart or 30A, Malerne stencil, Holton Collegiate, Olds Parisian Ambassador

If you dare try eBay, make sure seller clearly states that horn needs no work and plays up and down...and has a return policy. If they will not assure you of all of those things....just walk away. Because the problem with eFlay horns is 75% orf the time, you will need to invest another $200 into them to get them playing.

Better suggestion: buy from folks here (make sure they also give you the same assurances noted above).

·
Registered
116 Posts
The cheapest new sax I would use is a Venus. The Ebay seller musicalwheel is the only place in the U.S. that sells them. A Venus alto goes for around $300 or less. Another idea would be to see if your local music store has a rent to own program or payment plan. Most of the music stores around here sell mainly Yamahas or Selmer USA horns. Don't judge all Yamahas by a beat up school horn. A new student horn from your local music store could be up to $1500 total, but with a payment plan you wouldn't have to come up with it all at once.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well first off i play alto.(i dont know why i didnt say that) Buying a sax here would be so much easier if thats allowed, but then again my dads cheap. if i were to get a used horn i would need to get something that looks like it was never touched. oh ive never heard of russ becker but i would get a selmer before that brand, but please give your opinions . Yanagisawa was not even in my mind when picking because i thought those were like $6000, but a used one that looks good and under $500( its still used) is a pretty good deal. as for the other brands you mention i had no idea that those excisted

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,620 Posts
Buying a sax here would be so much easier if thats allowed, but then again my dads cheap. if i were to get a used horn i would need to get something that looks like it was never touched.
You can buy a sax from individuals or dealers who list them here (check out the "Marketplace" for listings). As with most things, the cheapest may not be a bargain, especially off of eBay, where the cheapest horns often need 2 or 3 times their purchase price in repairs/adjustments. (I have one of those...)

Is it you or your dad who wants it to look like new? Because you can often get a better horn for a cheaper price if it doesn't look as good.

·
2,144 Posts
Oh brother....
Indeed...
Some people get dragged into reality kicking and screaming. Others never get there.

My dads cheap and probably gunna get pissed...if i were to get a used horn i would need to get something that looks like it was never touched...i want it to look new so i can feel good about the purchase...but then again my dads cheap...
I love how you mention how cheap your dad is...not once, but twice. If you make such a point to tell the world how cheap you think he is, surely you've conveyed that attitude to him whether you've come out and said it to his face or not. That's not the best place to start when it comes to asking daddy to buy you a saxophone. I suspect he's not as "cheap" as you make him out to be, but I can assure you that he has a better grasp of reality than you do. In case you haven't heard yet, it's a tough economy out there at the moment. Maybe he's doing the best he can. Buying expensive toys for ungrateful children probably isn't on the top of his list of things to do with his hard earned money in such a tight economy.

I wish there was some way we could direct "dad" to this post before he makes a huge mistake and sinks money into a saxophone just because it's pretty enough to suit you.

You do realize that a used horn that looks like it was never touched, probably looks that way because it wasn't worth touching in the first place...right? The best quality, best playing used horns are rarely the ones that look "untouched". If your first concern is how a saxophone looks rather than how it plays...you might as well toss your money in a river.

Oh, wait...It's dad's money.
Never mind.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,651 Posts
Ok, time for 'Mean Mommy'...

First, Since you are playing a 'school owned' sax the repair should have been done by the shop that takes care of the 'school owned' instruments and NOT your Dad and a bottle of Super Glue.
I'm sure your director and the shop tech are going to be really happy when they have to explain/fix the damage the proper way. Which SHOULD have been done as soon as the damage occured.

Second, There may be a legitimate reason why your Dad is 'cheap' and would be 'pissed' when you tell him you are 'shopping' for a 'new' horn without getting permission to do so.
The economy sucks kid and parents just don't always have the extra cash to get you what you think you need. He may not be 'cheap'. He may be just plain BROKE. Mortgage/rent, food, gas, clothing, insurance, car payment, kids standing with their hand out.... Money sure as heck doesn't grow on trees.

Third, 'Confronting' a parent with a list of new saxophones that you think you might want isn't a good idea.
Asking if a new or gently used instrument might be a possibility is a much better way to go about it. Get a budget and go from there.

Good luck getting your 'Cheap', 'Pissed off' Dad to buy a new sax.....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,013 Posts
Indeed......you might as well toss your money in a river.
........Oh, wait...It's dad's money........
Never mind.
Ok, time for 'Mean Mommy'...
.....Good luck getting your 'Cheap', 'Pissed off' Dad to buy a new sax.....

Oh, brother.....

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,651 Posts
Sorry.... But how this kid talked about their Dad really pissed off this cheap Mommy.

·
2,144 Posts
Sorry.... But how this kid talked about their Dad really pissed off this cheap Mommy.
I don't think either of us were overly harsh with the kid, and certainly not out of any desire to be deliberately mean...(though we usually get accused of being so in situations like this). Sometimes the obvious just has to be stated.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,938 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
If you want a better horn and your dad is cheap, maybe you should save up some of your own money. I've bee saving for a soprano or tenor for almost three years. I'm not getting a new x-box or psp or wii because I REALLY want a new sax. Don't count on your dad for everything.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts