Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question for you touring saxophone players...Particularly those that are playing in touring Broadway shows, where all the gear is transported by semi truck.

What's the normal method of transport these days for your horns?

As a sound engineer, for the past 12 or 15 years, I have seen most of the touring shows transport their wind instruments in prop or carpentry type hampers similar to what the soft good for the show would travel in. I.e. instruments in cases, the cases loaded into one of the big hampers, and the hampers loaded into the trucks.

Is that still what you guys are doing? Are you experiencing any negative effects of the cold or hot temperatures from the non-climate controlled semi trailers?

What, I'm getting at; is that now that I'm touring full time (as a sound engineer, see my sig line), I'd like to take a horn on the road with me to play in my sparse amounts of free time. I'm already carrying two suitcases, and a backpack with my laptop, ipad, hard drives, headphones, etc.. Plus I have a Pelican case tucked into one of my gear trunks which has my other hand tools etc...

My only real option is to find a place in one of my other work boxes for my horn if I do take it on the road with me. But we've already experienced some bitterly cold temps on this leg between Denver and Cheyenne this past week. I'm planning to build/pay a friend to build me a large touring work box which will have a compartment large enough to accommodate a tenor saxophone, at least.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,885 Posts
cold temperatures aren’t a problem that most saxophones couldn’t deal with ( we have some threads about cold temperatures), but the rough handeling may be.

If I were to travel around I would certainly take my horn with me , if that is not an option I would indeed either go to a Hiscox Pro II case ( they are very sturdy and can handle rough treatment)

or indeed a Pelikan based saxophone case like Battle Cases ( which can take being at the bottom of a pile of instruments)

https://www.battlecases.com/saxophone-cases

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have a large plastic (Rubbermaid) trunk, which held my alto and tenor saxes in old Selmer flight cases, along with my woodwind doubles in their regular hard cases. This worked for several years on the road with no damage, except once to the plastic clasp on the Rubbermaid case, which they replaced within a week!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hah, I totally forgot that I posted this thread.

It's a moot point now that there are no tours any more. And the chances that our tour starts back up next spring are slim to none I think.

But for the spring leg of our tour, before the shutdown happened, I carried my brand new JK soprano with me on the bus. When we flew it was my second carry on after my back pack. And it stayed in the hotel with me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts