Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone might be able to help me figure out an intonation problem I've been having for a while now. My middle register (A-Bb-B-C) has all been playing very flat relative to the rest of the instrument for over a year now. I had it taken to a shop to see if there was anything in particular causing an issue, and they gave me a full re-pad (I've had the horn for a decade and this was the first time I did a re-pad, so it was probably due) but that didn't seem to help the problem. It's a Yamaha 82Z, and the issue appears with both my C* and a Meyer 4(? - not exactly sure on the size of this).

The problem is big enough that I have taken to using the side Bb key on my B and the G# key on my Bb and A to bring the pitch up. Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this or what could be done to fix it? I'm guessing that it's something that's changed in how I'm playing the instrument, but I've had a hard time figuring out what.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
probably a key height issue in the upper stack. Is it stuffy at all?
No stuffiness. I would have thought a key height issue would have been caught when I took it in to the shop, but I didn't get a chance to talk to the tech when I picked it up, so I can't say for sure. Worth a shot though!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,420 Posts
Are you checking it with a tuner? Have you tried setting the mouthpiece just a little sharper to kind of fudge it in a little closer? Does sound like some low keys to me too. The first one to look at is the bis key. Frequently you will find the whole bridge system between the stacks is out of whack because of hasty/inadequate adjustment. Also, someone may have used thick felts in the upper stack which is the fast/easy way to take up clearance but results in low keys.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
There is another aspect to consider. Some players who play too high on the "input pitch" have to pull the mouthpiece farther off the cork. It is well known that changes in the length of the instrument have a greater effect on short tube notes such as C, B, Bb, A, etc. I can't say that is what is happening in this instance, but it is worth checking out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts