Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question for the folks here who have installed the Oleg F-Fork extension on their horns: did you have to remove the felt glued to the front F before installing the extension? It appears to me that there is no way I can get this thing on without removing the felt. I'm referring to the Mark VI model.

Appreciate your input.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Yes remove it. But i always put a small piece of cork between the metal of the Oleg piece and the pad cup so there is a slight cushion.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
And to answer your question, the Oleg piece acts in the place of the felt. The two cannot be used at the same time, it’s one or the other. Good luck with the install!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And to answer your question, the Oleg piece acts in the place of the felt. The two cannot be used at the same time, it's one or the other. Good luck with the install!
Even after I took off the felt, it was still a challenge installing the extension. I had to unbend both ends (the parts that actually hook and wrap around the key) some to make it so the extension could slide a bit up the the front F key/pearl, and even then I couldn't get it to go up to the middle. And this was supposed to be "customized" for Mark VI's....

Having said that, I was able to install the palm key and side key risers fairly easily. The skyscraper palm key risers do really make a significant difference in ease of play. As for the side key risers, I don't think they really do all that much. Maybe some skyscraper side key risers would be in order?

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
Is it possible to mount it on a soprano mark VI with the F # key?

thanks!
I think the Mark VI soprano forked F is a whole different animal since there's no front F to begin with. I've always just used my ring finger on my left hand to open the high F key. Probably a better idea as far as keeping a good grip on the sax.
I've been looking, to no avail, for the teardrop shaped front F that was on Yanagisawa 880 tenors to put on my Mark VI tenor. I bought a fork F key from Feree's thinking I'd get my repair guy to solder something as an extension on it.
I only started thinking about it more after I bought a BA tenor where the fork F is right under my finger.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately, it appears that the palm key risers, particularly the skyscrapers, are very poorly made. See attached photos. This one fell off my palm D while I was practicing, and as I was attempting to re-install it, it just plain broke. I just got my Olegs last night. I was just starting to turn the screw when the riser broke (was not even applying any pressure whatsoever).

For something with an MSRP of $70, this is just plain junk. And to think I was thinking of getting more for my tenor and soprano.... I'd recommend anyone contemplating getting one to stay away from these.

Tap Water Plumbing fixture Automotive design Hood Wood Gesture Automotive lighting Automotive design Gold

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can anyone recommend other risers (not DIY as I don't have the requisite time) I should consider?

·
Registered
Bb saxes
182 Posts
I use Sugru for ergonomic modifications. Takes less time than installing risers. I haven’t found a fork-F useful on my Mark VI soprano, I just open high Eb by rolling my index finger (easier than using a high F and better tuning no E) )or use my ring finger to open high F.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let's see if my superglue solution works. It's just astounding how poor the quality of this item is, particularly considering the price.

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exhaust Exhaust system

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Unfortunately, it appears that the palm key risers, particularly the skyscrapers, are very poorly made. See attached photos. This one fell off my palm D while I was practicing, and as I was attempting to re-install it, it just plain broke. I just got my Olegs last night. I was just starting to turn the screw when the riser broke (was not even applying any pressure whatsoever).

For something with an MSRP of $70, this is just plain junk. And to think I was thinking of getting more for my tenor and soprano.... I'd recommend anyone contemplating getting one to stay away from these.

View attachment 239982 View attachment 239984
Wow that's crazy! In all the years of using, installing and yes dropping these everywhere, I've never heard of or seen that happen.
They must have a return policy or some sort of way to get a new one or your money back. But I do agree the skyscrapers make a huge difference, I only use one on palm F but it really makes the palm keys shape much more comfortable in the hands.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow that's crazy! In all the years of using, installing and yes dropping these everywhere, I've never heard of or seen that happen.
They must have a return policy or some sort of way to get a new one or your money back. But I do agree the skyscrapers make a huge difference, I only use one on palm F but it really makes the palm keys shape much more comfortable in the hands.
They are really good, functionally, but something that costs this much shouldn't break that easily within the first 5 minutes of usage. Do you have any issues with them dropping off the keys while you're playing? I've only had that problem with the palm D. That's what necessitated the reinstallation in the first place, and even after I glued the pieces back together and reinstalled the thing, it kept falling out (it seemed to be holding steady the last time I tried it out this morning). No issues with the F so far.

I've reached out to the vendor about possibly getting a refund. Or maybe I should get a replacement, on the off chance I just got a bad one.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I purchased a palm key riser for my MK VI soprano. It was too small. I contacted Oleg and they made me one that fit and sent it to me. I found that they were very helpful.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.