Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting ready to do some minor modifications on my alto mouthpiece today and decided to wash it first since it appeared to have a cork grease build-up in the bore. What I got out of it was a ring of thin cork off the old neck that I had replaced. I couldn't believe something like that was in there - I had noticed some cork had come off the old neck but it never occurred to me that it could be in the mouthpiece. I guess no matter how long you have been playing, something new always manages to pop up from time-to-time. The thing is, I've played about five gigs with it like that and everything was fine. I don't play much alto now so I don't have to clean the mouthpiece that often but from now on I think I'm going to look a little closer at all of my mouthpieces before taking the horns out of the house. :)

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
So, once you cleaned out the extra cork did you decide the mouthpiece was okay and didn't need mods? Just curious how it came out.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, no. I went ahead with it and it turned out great. It was a great piece, just a little too much of a good thing. Now it has less edge and more character. See the details in my other thread 'Guardala History'. The cork didn't have any effect on it as far as I can tell.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts