Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Lack of sleep needs to be treated as a major health issue, according to a report published by the Mental Health Foundation.

The report, 'Sleep Matters', suggests a link between insomnia and poor relationships, low energy levels and an inability to concentrate.

Poor sleep has already been linked to depression, immune deficiency and heart disease.

The report calls for GPs to have more training to recognise the symptoms

Although this post was created by a spammer I will let the thread stay (as edited) because of the follow-up discussion.
~Harri

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,889 Posts
Go back to sleep if you can...........I often can't

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Go back to sleep if you can...........I often can't
Too much coffee, man.

There's a "coffee house" in my little outpost of progress in the PRC, and it takes them TWENTY MINUTES to make a cup of coffee.

You think maybe they had to go catch a civet to justify the twenty yuan they charge for it?

·
38,889 Posts
nahhhhhh you by-pass the use of a civet and DIY it! :bleuwink:

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,802 Posts
I drink coffee and some times five hour energy and then I can't sleep so I take Advil PM and I fall asleep. Then when I wake up I'm really groggy so I drink more coffee. I've been on that routine for the last 12 years. Can't be good for me. I stopped caffeine and the Benadryl at one point and it was the best I ever felt..........

·
38,889 Posts
caffeine can indeed trigger insomnia, on the other hands there were trials which established that people who were told that their coffee was decaffeinated (while it had caffeine) slept without any problems and people who were given decaffeinated coffee and told it had caffeine didn't sleep asa consequence. Anyway you can develop addiction to caffeine and if you go completely cold turkey it takes 2 weeks before you stop having withdrawal symptoms.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,564 Posts
I had insomnia once for about a 3 week period years ago. I wouldn't wish that experience on my worst enemy. I found that shift work and the multi vitamins I was taking at the time were a factor and when I quit taking the vitamins I was able to get back into a regular sleep cycle.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I'm able to sleep (jeez, anywhere, even standing if I could) but my schedule doesn't allow me to, so I'm always sleepy. Does that count?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,424 Posts
I cut out the caffeine, totally, and cut down on sugary drinks. No sugar four(4)hours before beddy-bye. Believe it or not sugar can keep you awake, albeit very subtly.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,802 Posts
I had insomnia once for about a 3 week period years ago. I wouldn't wish that experience on my worst enemy. I found that shift work and the multi vitamins I was taking at the time were a factor and when I quit taking the vitamins I was able to get back into a regular sleep cycle.
I took a vitamin with Siberian Ginseng or Guana something in it that totally made me hyper. Couldn't sleep when I took that stuff.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I'm able to sleep (jeez, anywhere, even standing if I could) but my schedule doesn't allow me to, so I'm always sleepy. Does that count?

I once actually slept standing up. I always thought that it was impossible but I was working night shift at a warehouse and I was sweeping the floor and took a little break while leaning on the broom handle and I actually slept for a few minutes. It was a refreshing nap!

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,221 Posts
Sugar, caffeine, vitamins...
Those are nothing compared to the insomnia caused by menopause and being awakened by nocturnal hot flashes after you've FINALLY gotten to sleep.
Remove all of dietary causes of insomnia, eat more soy, work yourself to the point of physical exhaustion, right.....
You guys can complain about insomnia after you've been whacked in the face 4 times during the night by your menopausal bed partner throwing the covers off in an attempt to avert a nuclear meltdown. :)

Just messin' with you guys!
I do know how hard it is to function when you can't get a good nights sleep.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Great, more health problems for me to worry about. [rolleyes]
I've had insomnia for years, and honestly didn't need an article to tell me that it isn't healthy. My body reminds me every day.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Insomnia?....That's why half of us stubborn pros went into music full time.

It's the only job we could find where we can sleep in. :coffee: :sleepy2:

:glasses7:

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
I can go for months without any insomnia but then I'll go through a period when I experience it every night.
It's been like this for the past week, about an hour or two after going to bed, I wake up and it takes me several hours to fall back asleep.
Last night was the worst, the sun was coming up when I finally dozed off. Good thing I don't have a 9 to 5 job. Still, today will be a wasted day.

I don't know why this happens, I exercise regularly, I eat well, moderate caffeine intake, no medication.....

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
I don't have insomnia. I just have trouble sleeping.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts