Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2017
650 Posts
Katrina horn? He doesn't say what condition the pads were in.

Regardless, looks stunning now.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Nice! Oh no, should I hand you my 119K for the same treatment?

BTW, chlorinated solvents are the BEST! non-flammable, moderately toxic (chronic effects), highly effective,...ventilate properly when in use, et voila!

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
I'd guestimate you probably spent over 100 hours on this; and depending on that hand work for the finish, it might be a lowball estimate!

It looks and sounds great; thanks for restoring one of these beauties so they can create music again.

- Saxaholic

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,133 Posts
Amazing resto job. At this point, why not polish and lacquer it?

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
-because it is in fact not a relacquer, was never buffed, just an original lac horn that was chem stripped and hand finished.
The Engraving is sharp etc. It is worth more than a relac, and does not suffer any of the adverse possibilities associated with that.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Well done. I agree, an insane amount of time required to do this sort of thing, which is why I have not done this SA80 SII:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,947 Posts
Because these days it is more economical to not do the work then take extra credit for “original” lacquer. Reading the market is wise.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
have you seen el buzo ( the scuba diver) Mark VI?

This was a mark VI found in the sea (how did it get there?) in Arecibo Puerto Rico!

·
38,878 Posts
Any Mark VI (or even better a Super Balanced Action tenor) horn will be very valuable in today’s market but of course if this would have been a less valuable horn the amount of work would have never been worth the effort (unless it was some horn of particular emotional or historical significance).

Relaquering any such horn will reduce its value . Why this is (or whether this has any rationale or rather more probably, not) is the mystery of the trends and fashion.

Why is it that in modern society we produce a perfect jeans and is worth X amout , then we proceed to rip it to pieces and apply a certain badge (of honor or dishonor, whatever you chose it to be) and all of a sudden it is worth X to the nth power.

·
38,878 Posts
The last time I saw something like that it was what the girlfriend of an alto player did to his Mark VI, she had been throwing it from the 3rd floor when she chucked all his things out of her flat and her life.

The guy showed me the horn.

He probably deserved it though, he was a real jerk who had me going almost 300 Km all the way to Germany to swap a soprano for a mouthpiece and then said that he didn’t want to swap it because now he needed the cash ... after what had happened.

I left telling him that he deserved the destruction of his saxophone and probably much more than that.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
This made me wince. What happened to that horn?
It couldn't get worse... AFAIK the owner/player lost his temper and jumped on it - I think on stage.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts