Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shhh its a secret ....Buried in the very middle of this milquetoast 1979 Spyro Gyra CD lies a hidden treasure. One of the most insane Michael Brecker solos you've ever heard. They decided to bring in Michael to do the heavy lifting. Perhaps Jay was miffed, or maybe not. No personal credits are given for anyone on the vinyl or CD. Solo starts at 3:16

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,072 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I remember that one. Back in the day it was a real pleasure to listen to the radio and hear MB solos pop up in all kinds of places where you might never expect. He could always supply the right touch with real style and integrity. I remember being surprised hearing the solo on this one at about 2:16

or at 2:38 here

·
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I remember that one. Back in the day it was a real pleasure to listen to the radio and hear MB solos pop up in all kinds of places where you might never expect. He could always supply the right touch with real style and integrity. I remember being surprised hearing the solo on this one at about 2:16
Haven't we all been there, walking down the supermarket aisle looking for a jar of Ragu when all of a sudden BAM, a MB solo comes over the PAsystem and stops you dead in your tracks???

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,515 Posts
Nice, thanks for bringing this up.

It's sorta funny that it has to be raised with the intimation that there was some sorta competition or one-upmanship going on, however. SG used Randy on their recordings quite a bit, so that they'd give Michael a nod on a tune isn't really all that odd...

So, just as an aside.....am sensing some dissing of Mr. Jay and the Band here.

Spyro Gyra - original incarnation - was a damn GOOD group and in some ways actually cutting edge stylistically, and Beckenstien/Schuman/Catallo were really good writers. They also absolutely shredded it live. People often misleadingly label them as the beginning of smooth jazz...but there is a massive canyon between SG and the likes of slightly later Rippingtons, George Howard, and their ilk....

If some of it sounds trite now, consider this as more the result of less-talented imitators (both musicians and producers) which followed.

The original band/conception is many rungs up the ladder from its contemporary reboots, which lack any real signature sound and style (beyond simply recognizing it's Jay playing).

·
Distinguished SOTW Researcher
2,863 Posts
Haven't we all been there, walking down the supermarket aisle looking for a jar of Ragu when all of a sudden BAM, a MB solo comes over the PAsystem and stops you dead in your tracks???
Definitely. I remember before MB became a name brand his sound was identifiable, and you heard songs and commercials by all kinds of artists with solos by "that guy".

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,381 Posts
Back in the day it was a real pleasure to listen to the radio and hear MB solos...

or at 2:38 here

The video is kind of blurry in that Carole King clip, but could that be a B&S Guardala tenor he is playing?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,532 Posts
Awesome solo, always a treat to hear him
Shhh its a secret ....Buried in the very middle of this milquetoast 1979 Spyro Gyra CD lies a hidden treasure. One of the most insane Michael Brecker solos you've ever heard. They decided to bring in Michael to do the heavy lifting. Perhaps Jay was miffed, or maybe not. No personal credits are given for anyone on the vinyl or CD. Solo starts at 3:16

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Nice to hear again. I like the excitement and energy going when Brecker comes in, and keeps it up [till the fade out :evil:].

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,130 Posts
Spyro Gyra - original incarnation - was a damn GOOD group and in some ways actually cutting edge stylistically, and Beckenstien/Schuman/Catallo were really good writers. They also absolutely shredded it live.
That's what I've been thinking as well. I've always thought Morning Dance has a number of well put together compositions, and the show in Miami was really good.

Not as good as if Michael and Randy had been there though, I'll certainly grant that.

https://youtu.be/GozJ0X38PfU

You don’t have to slide through the pap. Somebody made volumes of these sparing us.
Whoever edited that: it was worth doing.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2015-2016
2,692 Posts
that was a great solo!! beckenstein is no slouch himself. but Im sure jay appreciated the brilliance of brecker just like we do. thanks for sharing that

·
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
WOW never heard this little incredible solo. I wish I could figure out how to split the tones on tenor like MB does here. So intense!!!!!! I do it on alto with no problem, but cant figure it out on tenor.
The video is kind of blurry in that Carole King clip, but could that be a B&S Guardala tenor he is playing?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts