Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
C-Melody
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
Beautiful example of this type of picture or portrait engraving, in fact, If I may say so, there are other even more fetching ones in a two or even three tone.

So, as far as these horns go, it is not more insane than others that I've seen. I don't know that it would reach the starting price. Good luck! ( run a search for those there are people around with incredible collections) just one example, there is quite a bit of insanity out there! Just read the papers!

Art Glass Metal Cylinder Font

Registered
Only problem with such intricate Engraving is how difficult it is to buff out when you relacquer it.
Boo. :) (I know you are joking.) I am just beginning the process of doing a complete restoration of a Conn New Wonder Virtuoso Delux tenor that has incredible engraving on and in the bell, up the body, and on every key cup. The challenge will be to remove the old silver plating and hand polish the body and keys in such a way as to carefully preserve the engraving. It will then be silver plated by Anderson's. I plan to take photos at every step of the way including the final product.

Distinguished SOTW Member
Boo. :) (I know you are joking.) I am just beginning the process of doing a complete restoration of a Conn New Wonder Virtuoso Delux tenor that has incredible engraving on and in the bell, up the body, and on every key cup. The challenge will be to remove the old silver plating and hand polish the body and keys in such a way as to carefully preserve the engraving. It will then be silver plated by Anderson's. I plan to take photos at every step of the way including the final product.
That does sound like a challenge.
I'd also like to see the results or some progress pics.
And yes I was joking.

Registered
The challenge will be to remove the old silver plating and hand polish the body and keys in such a way as to carefully preserve the engraving. It will then be silver plated by Anderson's. .
Why have it replated? Has all the original gold plate worn away?

Registered
Beautiful example of this type of picture or portrait engraving, in fact, If I may say so, there are other even more fetching ones in a two or even three tone.

So, as far as these horns go, it is not more insane than others that I've seen. I don't know that it would reach the starting price. Good luck! ( run a search for those there are people around with incredible collections) just one example, there is quite a bit of insanity out there! Just read the papers!
Same opinion here. I bought a similarly impressively engraved gold plated Conn alto about a year ago for $1,000.

Naw, not too much. :)
I would give the Hagerty's silver foam a try. Since that Rudy Wiedoeft project. I've played with the silver cleaners from Hagerty's you suggested. I just finished a early 1930s Holton flute. Foam worked great in all the nooks & crannies. Although I do see some of the issues you're expressing the need for replating on.

Registered
This is a very lovely engraving. The wings are especially expressive and well-proportioned to the figure. Will be amazing when it's done.
It took me a LONG time before I could see the face - I didn't expect the orientation. But, yes, that will look nice.

Registered
C-Melody
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@Saxoclese

How is this going? Any news or progress (pics please!)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts