Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is doing my head in :-(

Absolutely lovely example of how I would like to play a horn and something to aspire to but alas I will never be anywhere near as good as Mr Felder

Anyway does anyone know where I can get hold of the sheet music for Inherit The Wind for a Tenor Sax?

Looked everywhere and had no joy at all but did come across an Alto transcription on You Tube so could use that I suppose.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've seen that very video. Pause and transcribe will be the best way. Love that guys channel, but yes, I do wish he would put out a Bb version too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,612 Posts
This is doing my head in :-(

Absolutely lovely example of how I would like to play a horn and something to aspire to but alas I will never be anywhere near as good as Mr Felder

Anyway does anyone know where I can get hold of the sheet music for Inherit The Wind for a Tenor Sax?

Looked everywhere and had no joy at all but did come across an Alto transcription on You Tube so could use that I suppose.
Wilton’s playing is much more than the notes.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Well one of my teachers keeps telling me that I am too obsessed with the notes themselves and that music is all about the interpretation of the notes rather than the notes themselves.

Guess there is absolutely no hope for me but I shall persist

BTW Wilton Felder is one of my all time favourite horn players.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,612 Posts
Well one of my teachers keeps telling me that I am too obsessed with the notes themselves and that music is all about the interpretation of the notes rather than the notes themselves.

Guess there is absolutely no hope for me but I shall persist

BTW Wilton Felder is one of my all time favourite horn players.
Felder is a great influence. Good call.

If you want to cop his style, listen to it, and build it a bit at a time. Developing the skill to critically listen is almost as important as developing the technique.

G’luck in your quest!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sound advice Dr G - thanks

Even if I never get to 10% of the level of someone like Wilton Felder I can always console myself with knowing I can listen to him (and others) on sites like You Tube.

Quality has and always will stand the test of time unlike most of the music and pseudo musicians you find in abundance all over the place in this day.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Dont think of solos as etudes to be played. Think of them as conversations in a key. You can talk about the same things as the recordings, but you wont use the exact same words. That's how I got over the hump.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,129 Posts
Wilton Felder was an incredible player and my first influence. His timing and impeccable choice of notes seem more feeling than technical. I think that's why I emulate him as much as I can.

Great choice.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
2,069 Posts
Wilton Felder had a very successful parallel career as a session bass player, amazingly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts