Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Antigua Winds finally responded to my request for information by saying that they had none on this horn. I would appreciate any information you can give me, including model designation and fair market value for this instrument, please. It was bought used in about 1997.
Musical instrument Outerwear Dress Azure Sleeve
Wood Publication Motor vehicle Material property Automotive tire

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
No idea about the model. But looks to be in great shape. $500-$600 would be reasonable. Another of the same exact model is on Reverb right now for $600. Market is extremely soft for sellers right now. You'll get more money if you can wait until fall.

Good luck

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,000 Posts
Other than suggesting you look at sold or ended listings on eflay, perhaps to see if you can find that model, it is gonna be hard to get specific info. Antigua is not a brand discussed here much, and when it is it isn’t in reference to 25year old ones. Looks to be in amazing shape, but’s early Taiwanese horns are generally not highly regarded so their market values are low.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,342 Posts
Mid/Late 90s. High F#, but doesnt appear to have any engraving? Probably a 510. I had a 520, similar Selmer SA80 copy, but with engraved bell, Nice enough for the (very little) money I bought and sold it for, but nothing special. Yours looks to be in very good condition.

If it is engraved and its just not in view then its an Antigua A520LQ, similar to this one (but older with the non fancy bell support ring and older style plain script name engraving)

I cant tell from the pictures if it has ribbed or post to body construction.
According to this the difference between the 510 and the 505 was the "double action table keys".

Kessler and Sons were one of the original US dealers for Antigua Winds, its possible they may have some idea of serial numbers from back then, although they only stocked the "top of the line" 520 and 530 altos back in the day, costing just shy of $700 new about 15 years ago.

My 520 was not that pretty, and I sold it ten years ago for what I thought was a fair price of CDN$400 (about $US300-350) if that gives you an idea of value. I doubt they have become more valuable over time. Good reputable intermediate horns, just not a sexy brand for resale purposes.

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,523 Posts
Hi Dave. I have one just like it. Solid horn. Ribbed construction. High F# key. Plays easily enough though I’m planning to have some extra movement taken out of the octave mechanism and try to lighten the action on the pinky keys. They are a workout. Sorry I know less than you do about mine. Again, it doesn’t suffer from the complaints of early Asian horns, soft key work etc.

About 6 or 7 years ago I paid $200 for it. It needed to have the neck tenon resoldered. It had come loose. Also a key guard had been knocked off. They replaced two or three pads and adjusted it. Altogether about $125 so total cost was about $350. Mine is about as clean as a horn gets. Just a few scratched near the neck strap ring as you would expect. Only the name engraved. edit - mine does have the same engravings as Canadien’s. Now I’ve learned something about my horn. 😎

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your input!
My sax does have engraving on the bell. I don't know what "ribbed" or "post to body" construction means, but it sounds like it may be the A520LQ model that Canadian mentions. It is in nearly perfect condition )bright finish, no scratches, everything moves easily) with a (probably so-so) Yamaha mouthpiece and a hard case. Sounds like it would be an excellent find for an aspiring student, as it was for my daughter back in 1997.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
The posts stick out from the body and hold each end of the rods. If there is a flat brass plate between the posts and the body of the horn, that’s ribbed which is a higher end feature. If the posts connect directly to the body, that’s not ribbed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The posts stick out from the body and hold each end of the rods. If there is a flat brass plate between the posts and the body of the horn, that's ribbed which is a higher end feature. If the posts connect directly to the body, that's not ribbed.
Thanks! So is this ribbed construction?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,342 Posts
I'm pretty sure from the description that its an A520LQ. The real tell tale sign of ribbed construction is that all the posts for the RH palm keys are on one long plate, which shows pretty clearly like this under the rods...

You are right this would make a great starter or step up horn for a student (with the Yamaha 4C mouthpiece) Its a much better horn that the usual entry level Chinese / Amazon horns, and personally I would say better than the ubiquitous Yamaha YAS 21/23/25, but due to the absence of name recognition if you can get $500/600 for it you will be doing pretty well I think as there are newer models out there now. Bare in mind that while the list price back in the day was $1500, Kessler was selling these new for only $695 back in 2006. The fact its in excellent cosmetic condition certainly means you can be a little more optimistic than I was selling mine (and that was ten years ago and everything has gone up since then). Just make sure you have good photos of the whole thing, including the bottom of the bell bow and the neck, which are always the most vulnerable parts that get dented and bent first in the hands of the inexperienced. Good Luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts