·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,412 Posts
They have different models now but that one, particularly with the ligature, probably would be worth around $250, as a guess. They're still using the baffle/chamber design but the body looks different - you can see them on the LeBayle site. They also have the slimline mouthpieces in ebony now. I don't know how old it is but I guess about 20 years. The previous owner took care of it by not leaving reeds on it after playing, so the table is not pitted - hint, hint. I'd say, if you like it, play it and make it yours!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you - I was hoping to get some information via the LeBayle site. However, the homepage is down. Does anybody know why?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, i`ve read some things - I`ll better not continue asking…

Anyhow, any additional infos about that particular mouthpiece are still welcome ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,818 Posts
Is this not a “ metal Jazz” mouthpiece? The number in the shank could be the measure of the opening .

If so they are not particularly expensive . In the NL at Matthews cost €205 including tax a lot less if you buy from outside the EU €169.

No lig ( but they are not too special or expensive).

https://www.matthewsmuziek.nl/nl/lebayle-mondstuk-tenorsax-metaal-jazz.html

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Milandro. However, the external shape is different to the "Jazz" Model. Also, mine does not have a serial number on the outside.

·
12,707 Posts
I thought it was the Jazz too...maybe an earlier model.

The outside is different. The general interior design looks like the jazz but it could be quite different and still look that way.

·
38,818 Posts
whatever it is the general ballpark of price is this, there is nothing particularly special or rare about Lebayle’s mouthpieces other than the problems to get one if you order directly and pay beforehand

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
whatever it is the general ballpark of price is this, there is nothing particularly special or rare about Lebayle’s mouthpieces other than the problems to get one if you order directly and pay beforehand
That's your personal opinion, milandro my friend, and you're entitled to it ! However, many players would disagree strongly. I can only speak about my own Lebayle bronze bari mouthpiece, a Rosie 9, which I got new from Brian Landrus. It's a very special piece — quite rare too, for Fred hasn't made very many of this model. I use it very often in rotation with two other pieces, and wouldn't be without it. Please don't confuse the quality of the product with the personal probems and business shortcomings of the maker.

·
Registered
573 Posts
All Lebayle mouthpieces i ve seen, more than ten, had serious problems that would need refacing.
Im sure they can be good mouthpieces after but i would not call that a mark of quality by any stretch of imagination.

·
38,818 Posts
we were talking about the monetary value./ I have never seen any Lebayle going for any great price. This , to me, looks like the Jazz model fro what we can see.

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,412 Posts
'Please don't confuse the quality of the product with the personal probems and business shortcomings of the maker'

That's the same stupid mistake they make with Guardalas. The guy could have been Mussolini in disguise for all I care but he made great mouthpieces. At least the sax world at large acknowledges this by the value they place on the mouthpieces. I have sold several Lebayle 'Fusion' ligatures for large bucks after outgrowing them myself and I think that's the ligature on the subject mouthpiece.
Milandro; If it were 2.17mm it would be an .085" tip, and its a 7* - I think .085 is more like a 5 on tenor. However, you could still be right if it is '21.7mm', it would be the length of the facing. I'm thinking that's the answer.

·
2,767 Posts
Having played about 15 Lebayles back-to-back at Ishimori in Tokyo, I'd shocked if he measured the facings to the tenth of a mm. In fact, I'd guess he rounds to the nearest 5. Some of those were basically unplayable and no two even played similarly.

I would think that would affect the secondhand value of the mouthpieces, but it doesn't seem to have, for whatever reason.

·
12,707 Posts
The old ones I have played better.

My experience with them over the last few years mirrors dirty's above statements.
I get the feeling that business over extension and quality decline have gone hand in hand.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts