Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have had this Holton sitting around for a few years, and have decided to do something with it. Most of the pads are destroyed or missing, and it is pretty dusty, but all of the keys still work properly. I found some Holton serial number list on Google and it dated this horn to 1914-1915, is that accurate? Do you think it would be worth fixing up to play or sell?

Thanks,
-ba.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Well ahem

I had a Holton tenor from 1909 that was gold plated i managed to swap it for a Trevor James Alto in great condition, I did well. Holtons are not highly prized and have very little or no resale value. but they can play pretty well, mine did.
If you get it repaded you will never get your money back, sorry but that is just the way it is.
Do a search on this site for more info

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Note the "C" above the S/N. This is a C-melody. Holton C-mels were sketchy at best with weird keys, clunky actions and poor intonation.

Hang it on the wall with flowers in the bell or make a nice table lamp out of it.
It's not worth much. $10.00 to $20.00

·
Registered
107 Posts
mouthpiece, neck, case...

Sometimes a good vintage C-Mel mouthpiece can bring $35-50 bucks.
The neck looks in good shape...not sure if it would play on another C-Mel.
The case, if in good condition, could bring some money.

But it is real hard to sell a C-Mel that needs a repad for much money...especially a Holton. A nice Buescher or Conn can bring some money, but not a Holton.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts