Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good day. I am looking for good quality, with good intonation and the sound of a soprano saxophone. Recently I came across a Magenta Winds soprano with a bronze body. Has anyone played the Magenta soprano and could you tell me if it's worth spending $ 1,300 on this instrument? Is it a good and tuning instrument? I don't have money for Yanagisawa or Yamaha ... Maybe someone will advise me? Regards. Kris.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,883 Posts
Good day. I am looking for good quality, with good intonation and the sound of a soprano saxophone. Recently I came across a Magenta Winds soprano with a bronze body. Has anyone played the Magenta soprano and could you tell me if it's worth spending $ 1,300 on this instrument? Is it a good and tuning instrument? I don't have money for Yanagisawa or Yamaha ... Maybe someone will advise me? Regards. Kris.

Yes I have , they are very good Taiwanese made saxophones and the “ own brand “ by a local shop ( Matthew’s in the Netherlands)

They are set up before shipping and they start at very convenient prices

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes I have , they are very good Taiwanese made saxophones and the “ own brand “ by a local shop ( Matthew’s in the Netherlands)

They are set up before shipping and they start at very convenient prices
Thank you for your reply, Do you think the Magenta Winds soprano is comparable to the Yamaha YSS 475 soprano? I am asking because I do not trust saxophones from Taiwan, but they are cheaper than Yamaha. Regards.

·
41,883 Posts
I wouldn’t know why not to trust the products of a nation that has been delivering at least in the last 15 years some of the most appreciated saxophones in the world.

You may confuse Taiwan with China , although even from China lots of very good products are there to be found.

Different cup of tea, on Taiwan there are many small companies making saxophones only while in China they generally are made in huge plants often making many musical instruments.

If you want a Yamaha you should buy a Yamaha.

Although many years ago people mistrusted Japanese products too... I am old enough to remember.

Read previous posts about the quality of their build. In my opinion they are very well made.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wouldn’t know why not to trust the products of a nation that has been delivering at least in the last 15 years some of the most appreciated saxophones in the world.

You may confuse Taiwan with China , although even from China lots of very good products are there to be found.

Different cup of tea, on Taiwan there are many small companies making saxophones only while in China they generally are made in huge plants often making many musical instruments.

Although many years ago people mistrusted Japanese products too... I am old enough to remember.

Read previous posts about the quality of their build. In my opinion they are very well made.
I am asking because the Magenta Winds are not known, there are very few of them, you will not find a used one ... If I could afford a Yamaha, I would buy a Yamaha. I can't afford it, so I'm looking for a cheaper but also a good instrument. I can always ask, right? You are from the Netherlands, they sell Magents there. :) I am not going to the Netherlands 2,000 km to get the instrument, so I want to learn as much as possible about it. Regards.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Work at Matthew Music? If so then you can tell me if the SS2 has the same design as the SS2 G which is made of bronze. Does SS1 differ from SS2 only in that it has no engraving?

·
41,883 Posts
I don’t work there, I know them as a customer and I have tried the Magenta saxophones and they are good, but I don’t have an intimate knowledge to tell you things about the difference that you are looking for. Look at the site, I gave you the link, I think that the only difference between these similar models is the metal that they are made of.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks Milandro, I recently purchased a Magenta Winds sopranino from Matthews Music that was listed by Davy Holland on eBay. These high resolution photos from the listing and Matthews Music match identically to ones that I studied of RS Berkeley, Allora, and Unison sopranino horns. This particular stencil has the extra bell and whistle of the gold brass body and colored pearls that I didn't see with the other brands. It is a very good/excellent looking Selmer SA80 II sopranino copy.

View attachment 252664

View attachment 252666

View attachment 252668

View attachment 252670

View attachment 252672

View attachment 252674
Hi, so can you say the Magenta Winds treble is really good?

I can’t see the attachments but I have no doubts that it is a very fine specimen. Magenta are high quality saxophones.

I too had a Taiwanese made sopranino ( Selmer Copy too, which to my knowledge should come from the same source as all the Taiwanese made sopranino Selmer copies ) which is then gone to Wade Cornell, he was so gracious to consider this as one of his best instruments.

Well done!

·
41,883 Posts
I have owned a Bauhaus Walstein curved soprano which I loved, It was really close to the Yanagisawa where it was copyed from, when I played the Magenta curved, I found it was a very good horn.

I’ve also tried a tenor and liked it too. Personally I don’t have any reason not to think that it would be a good saxophone.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts