Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with Magenta Winds saxophones? I learned about them on the Matthews Music webpage, which is based in the Netherlands. Please pass along any info, including links to existing SOTW threads. I am particularly interested in baritone saxophones, as I need to find a quality baritone at a reasonable price for the community college where I teach in Tennessee.
Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,811 Posts
As you correctly have identified this is the “ own brand” by Matthew’s in the NL.

Magenta’s are Taiwanese instruments made for Matthew’s. They are as good as it gets among the OEM made horns. The shop receives the horns, checks them completely and send them on to you.

The BS 1 is probably one of the cheapest good quality baritone saxophone out there. I see that the brnad Magenta was hijacked by someone selling from China and those are not the ones that are made to be sold by Matthew’s I would only trust a Magenta sold though the shop in the NL.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Milandro, are these the same as Mauriat, RS Berkeley, etc.?

As you correctly have identified this is the “ own brand” by Matthew’s in the NL.

Magenta’s are Taiwanese instruments made for Matthew’s. They are as good as it gets among the OEM made horns. The shop receives the horns, checks them completely and send them on to you.

The BS 1 is probably one of the cheapest good quality baritone saxophone out there. I see that the brnad Magenta was hijacked by someone selling from China and those are not the ones that are made to be sold by Matthew’s I would only trust a Magenta sold though the shop in the NL.

·
38,811 Posts
There are dozens of factories on Taiwan, the debate of what constitutes “ the same as” could go ( and has been going on for) a very long time being inconclusive because nobody really knows, especially if, as most companies do, they bu from trading companies.

Therefore, I don’t know if they are the same as anything else, I only know , for sure, that the Taiwanese company that I worked with ( they weren’t selling them to Matthews) defined these as “ high quality” which, in my book, knowing what they called different quality horns ( cheap, medium, good and high) , means that they have to be among the best made on the island.

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
The less forthcoming they are about the sax, they’re more than likely made in China.
When them seem insulted when you’ve asked, they’re definitely made in China.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Thanks Milandro, I recently purchased a Magenta Winds sopranino from Matthews Music that was listed by Davy Holland on eBay. These high resolution photos from the listing and Matthews Music match identically to ones that I studied of RS Berkeley, Allora, and Unison sopranino horns. This particular stencil has the extra bell and whistle of the gold brass body and colored pearls that I didn’t see with the other brands. It is a very good/excellent looking Selmer SA80 II sopranino copy.

View attachment 252664

View attachment 252666

View attachment 252668

View attachment 252670

View attachment 252672

View attachment 252674

There are dozens of factories on Taiwan, the debate of what constitutes “ the same as” could go ( and has been going on for) a very long time being inconclusive because nobody really knows, especially if, as most companies do, they bu from trading companies.

Therefore, I don’t know if they are the same as anything else, I only know , for sure, that the Taiwanese company that I worked with ( they weren’t selling them to Matthews) defined these as “ high quality” which, in my book, knowing what they called different quality horns ( cheap, medium, good and high) , means that they have to be among the best made on the island.

·
38,811 Posts
I can’t see the attachments but I have no doubts that it is a very fine specimen. Magenta are high quality saxophones.

I too had a Taiwanese made sopranino ( Selmer Copy too, which to my knowledge should come from the same source as all the Taiwanese made sopranino Selmer copies ) which is then gone to Wade Cornell, he was so gracious to consider this as one of his best instruments.

Well done!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Still not working with the pictures...

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Thanks, I’ve uploaded pictures before and think there’s something not working right on the site presently.

·
38,811 Posts
Very beautiful, similar to the one I had made for myself. Solid horn.

You have this one already Lambros?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Interesting brand for us in Europe btw, I hadn't heard of them before. I think their version of a "vintage look" is quite appealing as well (I know not everyone's cup of tea etc.), see below. I kinda wish they would put a lacquer on top of that so it doesn't change, they probably haven't though.

View attachment 252772
View attachment 252774
View attachment 252776

·
38,811 Posts
I am not sure this is lacquered over , I think there is just some waxy stuff.

In any case call the shop and talk to David.

·
38,811 Posts
Very nice to hear, I wish you many happy playing hours with it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts