Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Frank Holton & Co C-Melody sax with Serial Number C 12338. Below the SN, it looks like "IP" has been stamped. Does anyone have any info on this axe. It was made in Elkhorn so we know it would be after 1918.
Thanks, aftonbob

·
Registered
350 Posts
The serial number would suggest about 1911, so it could be an early one. "LP" would be Low Pitch (which is good news, so it can be played with modern instruments). An interesting saxophone. Holtons are widely regarded as among the best C melody saxes, and this one being early makes it more interesting too in my view. Does it play?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
Hello aftonbob - I think You'll find that the "IP" is in fact "LP" - for Low Pitch - which means that the C-Melody is in tune with modern instruments. Is it playable ?

(edit - I must have been slightly slower to press the 'Post' button than Mattutopia.... :( )

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
Let me know how it is as I have one sitting here needing pads and I don't want to redo it if it is just another horn!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,126 Posts
with Serial Number C 12338…
Please check member LaPorte's serial number list for Holton saxophones. All other lists are wrong!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
400 Posts
Your Holton should play well in tune with a modern C mouthpiece. It is my favorite C horn for an alto-like sound. If you want a blues blaster, find a Martin (larger bore- even a larger bore than me!!) Good luck on your fine Holton. Learn to master that funny key next to the side C and Bb key. Use it for high C toD, high C# to D, and high D to Eb. You can be a palm key wizard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts