Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Does anyone have information about King metal mouthpieces (especially for baritone)? I tried to use 'search' but I did not find anything. Thanks. GG

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Is there such a thing? I have a King hard rubber bari mouthpiece (probably one of those generic blanks that were stamped with a variety of names), but have never heard of a "King" brand metal MP, especially for baritone.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there such a thing? I have a King hard rubber bari mouthpiece (probably one of those generic blanks that were stamped with a variety of names), but have never heard of a "King" brand metal MP, especially for baritone.
I just got my paws on one today, so I believe so :) The logo seems identical to the one I have seen on the King HR mouthpieces and I found pictures of others thanks to Google.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
Lots of them around a few years ago an we have been speaking about them in the past too. Metal are Wolfe Tayne and hard rubber are Wagner . The ligature of the King-Tayne seemst o be the same as the one made by wagner for the Hard rubber.

They are Wolfe Tayne stencils made by Babbit

Babbit, they are similar to the Wolfe Tayne mouthpieces

They are the same as Wolfe Tayne mouthpieces, see the last pictures on this page:
http://mouthpiecemuseum.com/MouthpieceMuseum/WolfeTayne.html

I had such a King 8 a long time ago, a brighter mouthpiece with a very small beak. Didn't play it for long and gave it away years ago.
see both

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
Well I searched for you (you find above relevant information), as I said they were mande by Babbit.

I had one or two and wasn’t very impressed . Not so long ago there were a few for sale, I think that I remember, at a Dutch shop which had bought the entire inventory of another shop which shut down. They went away cheap.

They are still for sale

https://www.americanwaymktg.com/cat...es/wolfe-tayne-baritone-sax-metal-mouthpiece/

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, so what I found about the King (Wolfe Tayne) mouthpieces:

- probably gold-plated (though I have seen one in silver (color, not necessarily the material))
- large chamber
- roll-over baffle
- no serial number on mouthpiece
- number indicating the tip opening is on the table (Note: they were made for King, which was sold in the mid-1960's, I assume they are at least 50-55 years old, for upper limit, Mr. Taninbaum started his mouthpiece company in 1952, so probably no older than 77)
- tip openings correspond to non-stencil Wolfe Tayne mouthpieces (can be found on Babbitt website)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Metal Meyer and Guy Hawkins are similar stencils in construction. Some baffle and facing differences.

https://youtu.be/oAexfsVG7gg

Thank you, it was really interesting. I do wonder how you got the white marker off the mpiece, though :)
Also, on mine there is no kink in the baffle, it is completely smooth, and either it was replated or it is original. This could be specific to King stencils.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I searched for you (you find above relevant information), as I said they were mande by Babbit.

I had one or two and wasn’t very impressed . Not so long ago there were a few for sale, I think that I remember, at a Dutch shop which had bought the entire inventory of another shop which shut down. They went away cheap.

They are still for sale

https://www.americanwaymktg.com/cat...es/wolfe-tayne-baritone-sax-metal-mouthpiece/
Thank you, milandro! I found that website, too. But these new ones seem to be somewhat different.
Yup, that's how I got mine (I got it to practice long tones but it's quite a lot of fun).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts