Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone familiar with an inexpensive case that will fit a Martin Handcraft alto? Preferably a bit less expensive than the Protec XL which seems to be the standard case for these things.

Note: I am fine with a foam shell but gig bags are a no-go.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Well, 5 minutes search turned up Pro-tec Pro-pac rectangular at $125, Pro-tec "max" rectangular at $88, Pro-tec "pro-pac" shaped at $150 and "Max" at $135.

Or, you can have your local music store order one of the generic wood shell ones from Allied Supply, which is also probably pretty cheap. Many music stores will have old cases left from people who bought new fancy cases, too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,861 Posts
the Protecs that aren't the contour are not hardshell and will offer a considerably lower protection level than a XL contour.

The regular contour MAY also be able to fit a Martin (try) I have sold one case nor so long ago to someone who had a Martin (can’t remember the model) and she came to my place and the horn fitted just fine.

The generic wooden cases (Allied or other types) are generally big enough but the fit is very lose with consequent rattling inside.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I did not have success trying to fit a Comm3 into a rectangular Protec Max. They say themselves that the XL case is the one to go for vintage horns. Now I use one stuffed with some additional pieces of cloth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts