Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I met a drummer who had some cool prescription frames but had a rose-ish tint. Talked to him briefly and he said he wears them inside and out.

I was thinking it would be cool to have a pair of shades to wear inside while playing or even in a club. Just to look cool and shield yourself a little bit.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to find a good pair like this? (non prescription). Unfortunately, I didn't get the details from the guy on his pair.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,798 Posts
You mean shades with contrast enhancing color hue or ( the drummer may have not have told you this) spectacles for color blindness? There are different types and some people use magenta color glasses.

I don’t think they do much about shielding from the stage lights though. They normally serve a specific function to a type of colorblindness

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
My organ player always wears his prescription shades. Day or night. Inside and outside.
I cannot out-cool him on the bandstand.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,016 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
These are exactly what I want!!!!! Where do I get these? Thanks.
I think that the technical color you are looking for is "Rose". Kind of dorky....rose colored glasses. They eliminate glare and can actually brighten things up and improve contrast. I've worn them inside before and they can indeed make everything easier to see. Haven't worn them since the 90s. I wore the brand "Seregetti Driver" Their basic color (brownish orange) was good inside, but their their rose colored ones called "Aviators" were fantastic.

I think in the late 90s or early 2000s cheap glasses called "Blue Blockers" were the rage. A lot of those would work indoors.

Steer clear of anything gray. Those tend to just darken stuff.

My guess is that those magenta looking ones posted previously would probably fit the bill.

·
38,798 Posts
My guess is that those magenta looking ones posted previously would probably fit the bill.
I actually was the poster of those and I’ve asked OP (who doesn’t seem to have noticed my post) whether he wanted an contrast enhancing filter or something different.

You were wearing a brand with a bit different spelling SERENGETI (African plain) Driver
maybe these?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
You mean shades with contrast enhancing color hue or ( the drummer may have not have told you this) spectacles for color blindness? There are different types and some people use magenta color glasses.

I don’t think they do much about shielding from the stage lights though. They normally serve a specific function to a type of colorblindness

I wonder if they make some of them for tone deafness.

·
38,798 Posts
I doubt that.

Despite not being a certain “ cure” ( because it is impossible) for color blindness, it is not fun to be color blind in a world which relies on colors for communication ( red is imminent danger, yellow requires attentio and green is good and not only in a traffic light where position of the lit portion helps a lot).

Once I was with a fellow SOTW member and was talking about “ the red saxophone” he said " which? “ I repeated “ the red one “ and he said , sorry, I am color blind.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
I wear my prescription shades on stage. Not so much for the cool factor, but more to be able to look at things that interest me without seeming to stare (at what I am staring at). I admit to occasionally getting distracted since the group(s) I play with seem to precipitate dancing with reckless abandon...:cool:

They also help with glare from stage lights and jealous husbands

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,003 Posts
I don’t think they do much about shielding from the stage lights though.
If stage lights are the issue, I've found a hat with a brim (Panama or something similar) to work pretty well in blocking out the worst of the glare. I don't like to wear sunglasses inside, although when outside I always wear them.

·
38,798 Posts
Hat and shades is the thing is the thing :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts