Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking (I look at saxes a lot, lol) at an Indiana by Martin, if the serial number is 75XXX when was it made? I looked at the Martins story website and it said that that specific serial number was from 1926 but that doesn't seem to be correct. Any idea when it was made?

·
Banned
624 Posts
I just got an Indiana and even my tech thought it was a "nice pre-war Martin" and when I tried to argue he pointed to the serial number. I told him I had read they were a later model made with earlier parts, and then he said he wasn't really sure. Actually it's true it's not a pre-war model. The Indianas were made at the Indiana band instrument company factory bought out by Martin in 1942, and they used a different serial list. Mine is 51xxx and thats 1955. (fwiw, I tried a Martin Handcraft that was probably from the late 20's/early 30's and the keywork did not feel as light and modern as on my Indiana. But to me, the tone of my Indiana is very lush and "vintage.")

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
When using themartinstory, click the dropdown on the right hand folder to SERIAL NUMBERS and you will see a second line for the Indiana models.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts