Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

What could be a value of this alto and is this pro or student model (more likely). It seems to have still original pads with rivet, it has engraved Native American on the bell.

Musical instrument Product Wind instrument Woodwind instrument Rectangle Musical instrument Plant Brass instrument Human body Wind instrument Plant Organism Terrestrial plant Window Wood

Regards

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,665 Posts
It seems to be in relatively good state and older than most I see around here, the indiana serie was not a pro serie, but at most an intermediate one.

Around here they sell in PERFECT playing state for about € 750 from a private seller maybe €1000 from a shop, they used to fetch more but those days are gone.

If it needs a complete overhaul the value will be seriously affected and that’s why one sees them around floating at very low prices because if you have to spend €500 to fix a sax that is not going to be worth more than €750-1000 a lot of people don’t even bother fixing them and sell them on.

Ideally someone who repairs them buys them, fixes the horn and pockets the difference. If you are going to have it fixed bear in mind that value is limited.

Good luck!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,000 Posts
Oh, lordy....I gotta start selling more to Europe.....

here, as a project, worth maybe $125. Completely playing, a seller would be lucky to get $350. Quite lucky....

BUT...good players, good quality horns for sure.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,292 Posts
Oh, lordy....I gotta start selling more to Europe.....

here, as a project, worth maybe $125. Completely playing, a seller would be lucky to get $350. Quite lucky....

BUT...good players, good quality horns for sure.
+1......they play nice but a branded Martin of that vintage would not exceed $700 in the US.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,665 Posts
Bear in mind that OP doesn’t live in the US.

You can look prices up in shops and on the classified market in Europe.

As you know I buy and sell and I know the price of the onions on my market.

Of course American horns are cheaper in America.

There are many more of those. In the ’80 there were people here who periodically went to buy pawn shop horns in the USA filed a container full of horns bought for very little and when here got the best horns for themselves and went around with a lorry , door to door, shop to shop, to sell horns, cash in hand, to other shop keepers.

Then they bought these horns and sold them to the people. There were crowds of wannabe saxophone players who would very much want to buy an old American sax ( the look was important).

They did this for at least a decade and stopped when internet made this kind of trade impossible. The sellers ( mostly pawn shops) had become aware of the prices and put the selling price up, the buyers had started using ebay to buy abroad. That killed that kind of trade, although it still survived in a much reduced form and as far as I know, the same people who were doing the container thing made their last roundtrip some 7 years ago but only got a dozen of top horns which price was still higher here than it was there.

But those were the times of a very high Euro and a low Dollar. Those were the days!

Now with the dollar this high and the hefty shipping charges + a minimum of 20% VAT + an undetermined amount for handling through custom, American horns are no longer so palatable for import in Europe.

Selling an indiana which started at $500 in the US would easily end up at €700 here after paying all of this, so, here you are again in the ballpark that I quoted.

You have to understand ( and I made this point many times) that the cost of labour ( so the cost of anything really) and energy is much higher in Europe that in the States. Any business has to pay amount and types of taxes that are simply non existing in the US.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts