1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,981 Posts
Everything about that first one looks janky...I would suspect the double-octave keys will be enuff to douse any potential embers of interest.

What's the deal with this horn, Chris ? When you say Indian ? Is it an old phony ? I notice, for example...it reads BessonS..not Besson.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As well as 'BESSONS' notice the Boosey stamp above - they would've been separate companies at the alleged time this sax would have been built (late 1800s/early 1900s) but this one is probably only 10 years old at the most.

There were loads of these Indian saxes on eBay around 10 years ago along with simple system clarinets. These saxes usually sold for around £40 in the UK and were really poorly made - jagged and uneven toneholes, keywork of dubious quality, bright red pads, you name it - it was dire. These are all hand-hammered and built in streetside workshops and are basically a step-up from brass and bronze tourist trinkets.

The Besson logo has probably been copied from brass instruments from the days of the British Empire (like the saxes and clarinets as they're of an ancient design) and only stamped (albeit poorly) on there for effect. A real Besson sax would look more like the Evette&Schaeffer one.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Chris is right--I have one like it, a joke gift from a student of mine who worked in Dubai. It is Indian-made, and resembles a saxophone only in general shape. 100% worthless.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts