Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
When you get that baby overhauled be sure to update us with pics - it's amazing now but after it's been cleaned up it'll be next level. Congrats on the new addition!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,250 Posts
It's a 228xxx serial...
My plain old silver one is in that range. I bought it on a whim years ago and soon sold my Selmer alto. Great old horns, well worth fixing up to play, but I wouldn't blame you if you tested the waters to see what a collector might offer you for it. It has a 1 on the neck, yes?

·
Premium Member
Selmer MK VI, Selmer SA80 II Silver-plate Alto, Selmer SA80 II Silver-Plated Tenor, Yani Soprano SC
69 Posts
Incredible Talent.
Would it be possible, over the years, to find out who the artist was?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,632 Posts
Incredible Talent.
Would it be possible, over the years, to find out who the artist was?
to find the culprit follow the link hereafter

"....From front to back (1936 photo) are Harvey Earl Crawford (1886-1976), Edward Elmer Christman (1882-1954) and Charlie Joseph Terlep (1904-2000). Their artistry would help set a standard of excellence for saxophone engraving and contribute to many iconic instrument designs....."

"....Buescher's three top engravers still at it in August of 1946. In the forefront, Harvey Crawford engraves Buescher's flagship saxophone, the Buescher 400 Top Hat & Cane. This engraving pattern was designed by Charlie Terlap (seated directly behind him). Seated to the right is Ed Christman, engraving a Buescher Aristocrat alto saxophone...."

·
41,632 Posts

·
41,632 Posts
Thanks for the link. That side had alot of interesting information.
Just finished reading about the Conn small bore and the Loomis 10m.
Wow!
Great stories about a couple of the Conn experiments!
Cheers this is the good thing about keeping things and using them for future references (y)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,910 Posts
[ . . . ]

"....Buescher's three top engravers still at it in August of 1946. In the forefront, Harvey Crawford engraves Buescher's flagship saxophone, the Buescher 400 Top Hat & Cane. This engraving pattern was designed by Charlie Terlap (seated directly behind him). Seated to the right is Ed Christman, engraving a Buescher Aristocrat alto saxophone...."

[ . . . ]
Neat. Looks like Crawford's working on a tenor. I've got a '46 tenor TH&C. Maybe that's my horn!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Some of these engravings remind me of those featured on Rampone & Cazzani's Two Voices saxophones. Simply beautiful

·
41,632 Posts
yes, instead of the more common undulating technique this is ore the sgraffito engraving like they use on weapons

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I'd like to get this horn overhauled and in good playing condition. I spoke to two repair techs about working on Buescher True Tones and both recomended that if I wanted it to be a 'player' to have the snap in spuds removed and fitted with regular pads. Since it is such a special horn I'm in two minds about whether to keep it original with the snap in pads or to do what the techs recomended??

21 - 40 of 56 Posts