Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some factors that would increase the resell value of a horn while making a profit at the same time? (Spending $300 to polish it up and selling it for $200 than the purchased value isn't the best deal...)

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
552 Posts
if its a relacquer remove the lacquer - and make sure all the pads are new and the horn is in good condition and needs no keywork adjustments .

·
Registered
336 Posts
I think the only time you'll get your money back (or more) is when you fix things that are broken. If the horn has a missing pad or spring, the cost of replacing the pad or spring is much less than the hit you'll take in selling a "broken" horn.

Beyond that, I doubt that sinking money into a horn is a reliable way to make a profit. If you're selling on Ebay, make sure you polish up the horn so it's nice and shiny and take a lot of good pictures (good lighting, in focus, show the horn from many angles, show the defects (if any)).

I bought a silver plate C-mel on Ebay a while back. The seller only had one picture, in poor light, against a background of a dirty carpet. Not many bids and I got a good price. After I got it, I decided I didn't want it after all. Got a silver polishing cloth for a few dollars, spent about an hour rubbing the thing, and took 10 or so good pictures (picked from about twice as many total) using a red towel for a backdrop. Sold on Ebay for almost a hundred dollars more. Even with shipping and Ebay charges, I made a profit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How can I make my horn look nicer? Are there any do-it-yourself methods? There's polishing... what sort of materials should I get? Any other options out there?

·
Registered
552 Posts
cyblord said:
if its a relacquer remove the lacquer

What was the lacquer-removing part about?
Because some of the people that buy horns are stupid and judge how it plays by the lacquer instead of actually playing it --from my experience if it is non original than people will not be interested in it because they automatically assume it plays badly - if the lacquer is removed you will get about 50% more buyers than you would selling it as a relacquer (especially an ugly relacquer )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts