Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been 40+ yrs since I've played professionally. Started back a month ago. Playing a Selmer Mark VI tenor recently purchased. Had it checked out by well known repairman who claimed no leaky pads; but, required some "minor adjustments" - awaiting his workload reduction to turn it in for tune up. Mouthpiece set up is Selmer C* S80; Rovner Dark ligature; rico 2-1/2 reeds.
Problem: On any given day I'm getting high quality sound w/ easy access to all registers. On another day, tone quality will be poor (airy). As example, yesterday tone quality was poor (airy and hard to blow) and while playing was unable to even get a sound from Hi C. Several attempts at simply hitting the note resulted in only air. Eventually, a note sounded albeit of poor quality. I'm well aware of having to redevelop embouchure techniques; but excellent sound quality one day and an inability to get even a note out on another suggests something other than embouchure. Any thoughts???

·
Registered
260 Posts
Are you using the same reed each day? Maybe you have a bad reed?

·
Registered
73 Posts
1) Are you using the same reed each time (not same type - same actual reed)? If not, check the "bad" one(s) for splits, etc.

2) Is the reed positioned the same on the mouthpiece each time?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Make sure you are making the reed moist enough. Let the tip(first 2 inches) soak in water for a minute or two. If that doesn't help, try another reed. Not every reed in a box will play.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
I would suggest taking the mouthpiece and neck off the sax and playing the "tone producer". The note produced on tenor should be an E concert. If you can do this consistently with a good full sound, then the problem is most certainly the saxophone and not your embouchure or set-up.

If it is the saxophone check the following:

- Lift all of the spring closed keys one at a time and see if any springs are off, or if the key closes sluggishly
- Finger G and hit the thumb octave lever several times watching the neck octave. It should not move.
- Finger G to A with the thumb octave lever pressed to see if the neck and body octave keys trade places.

If none of these turn up anything put the neck in the sax and tighten the screw. If the neck still turns easily it means the neck is loose and may be leaking air around the tenon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Using yesterday's example, I used three different reeds each of which was only a week old and each of which played great the day before
Thanks for your prompt reply...this is a great forum!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply. I soaked all three reeds used yesterday (each of which is only a week old) for several minutes. Moreover, the problem was encountered after at least one hour of playing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much for the response. I'm unfamiliar w/ the term "tone producer". I presume it means to blow thru the mouthpiece and neck only? All three of your suggested tests came out OK. However, I do have a problem w/ a slightly loose neck. What confuses me however is that, if it is an instrument issue, why do I not have the problem consistently? Again, many thanks for you thoughtful response.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.