Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a sax with a few selmer domes (but the rest flat metal resos,) they are in the middle, around G - will this affect anything? Why would a tech do this?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,487 Posts
this shouldn't matter in the slightest, as i said in another thread, my SBA has got a whole jumble of resos, some original flat plasic with a rivet, some dome plastic, some seamless dome metal and riveted flat metal, it's a killer, don't worry about it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
coolsax2k7 said:
I got a sax with a few selmer domes (but the rest flat metal resos,) they are in the middle, around G - will this affect anything? Why would a tech do this?
You see it all the time,in general the fruit of partial repairs, they change only a few pads and the owner doesn't care too much but only wants the pad to seal and the horn to play. Some people try curing the stuffy notes (or high shrill ones) by interchanging this, but my idea is that this is a wrong approach

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
milandro said:
You see it all the time,in general the fruit of partial repairs, they change only a few pads and the owner doesn't care too much but only wants the pad to seal and the horn to play. Some people try curing the stuffy notes (or high shrill ones) by interchanging this, but my idea is that this is a wrong approach
its just G#, G, and F (F#) - this is a partial repair? So it had selmer domes before and the tech only left 3? I don't think that makes sense. Or, the selmer domes were added later? Is there a reason for it, response or brightness issues, or was the tech thinking all the other pads would later be changed to selmer domes as well? That doesn't seem to make sense either.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,863 Posts
yes there is a reason for this ................. the tech/person who fitted them didnt have any matching resos/pads.

I always - where possible - match the resos or at least get something close.

Some customers dont care what resos they have and some dont care if they match or not - I personally dont think the type of reso makes much of a difference but like i said - for aesthetic purposes I like to get them at least looking the same.

·
38,878 Posts
it was just a sloppy job.......I've seen it very often, especially on marching band instruments

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well since its just those 3 pads, I guess I can have them changed if I want. But I can't tell any difference really, or if there is any it's barely noticable.

·
38,878 Posts
if it ain't broken.....

·
38,878 Posts
exactly...:twisted: :twisted: :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts