Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so a little bit of a background i have been playing for around 9 years, i started in band in grade school and such and branched out more toward jazz and big band as i got older.

i have a Buesher Aristocrat and a Beechler metal mouthpiece, i love it but im looking for something a little less edgy, and more full.

i am looking at an otto links hard rubber but im leaning towards the vintage one, i was just looking for suggestions

any help is apreciated!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I'd recommend a Vandoren V16 T6. They're very similar to the old Florida Links in design but in a HR format and without the inconsistency. It just gets out of your way; the Vandoren lineup is about as good as "off the shelf" gets. They don't have as high a demand on your chops as Links and sound just as good to my ears. Krik Whalum uses the T8...

If you have more money and don't mind waiting, skip the vintage Link and get a refaced modern Super Tone Master or Tone Edge. Check out Phil Engleman's work at www.phil-tone.com. I owned a custom Tone Edge 7 and, while I didn't have the chops for it at the time, I knew it was a killer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i never looked at vandoren, i had a bottom of the line tone edge 6 in high school and loved it until someone stole it, i will definately check out the vandoren though, the mouthpiece i have is a 7 and while i love it, it kills me so i want to get something a little easier to play haha

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Right now in the SOTW marketplace, there's a Greg Weir Meyer copy for $50. The one I have plays like a dream. And you can't beat a deal like that with a stick. Better hurry before it's gone.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have to wait till payday haha, but the Vandoren sounds like a good choice and a price that isnt too bad, and i noticed the local music shop has one, i will have to give them a call for a price, i would rather give them the money vs some online company lol

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
i have to wait till payday haha, but the Vandoren sounds like a good choice and a price that isnt too bad, and i noticed the local music shop has one, i will have to give them a call for a price, i would rather give them the money vs some online company lol
Try it first if you can. You're lucky to have a store that has such products.

Also you'll find many online stores are more honest than their physical counterparts. If I can buy it from Weiner Music, I will. I feel as though they earn my money. At least they don't have ridiculous markup and they have excellent customer service and shipping turnover. You'll find many SOTWers will look out for each other so once a dealer, refacer, maker, et. all makes a bad deal, you'll hear it from us first. It is right to be cautious, though.

Oh and welcome to the forum, by the way! I hope you enjoy your experience here.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Vandoren V16 HR or Tenormadness "EB Tone Edge Remake" are two very good mpcs.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,228 Posts
A mouthpiece that blows really nice for me on alto Buescher's is a Lelandais Super Jazz mouthpiece,a vintage metal mouthpiece, it is alot like a vintage Otto Link Masterlink metal. It meets your requirment of less edgy and more full of a sound.

I just re-read and realised I am assuming you play alto. Is this for alto or tenor?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
there are 3 music stores near me, one is insaine markup, one is decent and one is just a place you dont wanna go haha, and thanks, i had stopped playing for a few years as my life got busy, and i picked it up again recently and decided to join this, and thanks

no i mostly play tenor, i have a king zephyr alto but i have to save up some money to get it re-padded, i prefer the sound of the tenor anyway, but i will be back to this question again when i get the alto done lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mouthpiece Cafe has excellent mpcs. I love my Bergonzi Supreme.
I have an excellent Florida STM that Brian Powell worked on for me. I am very impressed with his work. I wanted a good Hard Rubber piece as well so I consulted with him on what I was looking for and selected the model he suggested for my needs which is the Mouthpiece Cafe House Blend. I got it recently and love it. I play 1st tenor in a swingband and it has just the right mix of darknes/brightness, a little edge and power--very traditional, but does well with old R&B. It's fat, full, rich, & powerful--love it. I suggest that you contact and consult with him. These are great professional mouthpieces at a modest, affordable price.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts