Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I am in the market for upgrading my alto to a mkvi. what are some useful tips for negotiating prices because when i went to my local sax shop to weeks ago the owner was just giving me ridiculous prices starting at 6,800!!!!!!! need help and a new alto soon.
thanks,
justin

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,904 Posts
If I were you, I'd look to upgrade to one of the many upper-end Taiwan horns being produced today. You can get a fantastic playing saxophone for not a lot of money. For under $2,000 you could purchase a Barone Classic alto, have a professional flight case, a hand-faced jazz mouthpiece in your choice of tip opening, and enough spare change to buy a tenor.

Other retailers offer different models and such, although I think Barone has the best package deal going and they're phenomenal horns.

I've played on a ton of Mark VI altos, vintage Conns, Yanagisawa horns, etc. Now, I play on a Barone Vintage model alto in bare brass. Couldn't be happier.

You can check out a review I did a little while ago of a Mark VI alto vs. Barone Vintage vs. P. Mauriat 67R. http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...riat-67R-vs.-Mark-VI-vs.-Barone-Vintage/page2

The easiest advice is: get as many horns in your hands as possible, play them, and decide which horn is best for you.

Good luck!!

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i've been looking into some of the Taiwanese Horns and honestly i dont like the sound except for the Mauriats. I just love the big sound and quality of the mark vi and the few i've played i loved but its the price thats killing me.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,904 Posts
What Taiwan horns have you played?

You said you don't like the sound except for the Mauriats...interesting, as I've found Barone's horns to sound better than the Mauriats I have played.

If you're tunnel-visioned on a Mark VI, you will pay quite a bit for it.

Good luck!

- Saxaholic

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
$6800 is pretty high, but the Mark IV appears to be in a seller's market right now and there are people, particularly dealers that are driving the prices up.

Question for you. There are a lot of perfectly good pro horns out there that don't cost anywhere near as much. Why a Mark VI? Have you ever played one? Have you ever played any other pro horn?

Just curious...

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Things happen when I go get a sandwich in the middle of replying to a post..... :)

The Mark VI is a vintage horn. Lot's of people, including myself, prefer the sound of vintage horns. Have you tried any of the other usual suspects?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have not tried barone.. ive tried the custom z, custom ex, reference 54, and 3 mark vi's ... ive also tried the mark 7 but the key work is awkward

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i also tried a Cannonball but i'm very much interested in the selmers at this point

1 - 8 of 8 Posts