Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the forum so hi guys!
Been playing alto now for about 2 years but looking to get into the soprano. Issue is I'm from a rural area of Ireland so my local music store choice is slim, leaving online as my only real option. I'm particularly interested in curved sopranos over the straight, I have a budget of 1,500-2,000 euro at the moment. Could stretch a little further if needed but the lower the cost the better I guess. It's just the local music guy kept saying sopranos were more prone to intonation issues so no one really bought them and they saw no point in stocking them. Bummer i know, any reccomendations for anything solidly built would be appreciated!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hi
I’d go for a Yanagisawa. The model would be an SC991. There’s one second hand advertised here :-
http://misales.com/saxsales.html

At £2000 it’s maybe a bit above your budget, but it will be the only soprano you’ll ever need.
If you can raise the extra funds, a new one is only £2625 here :-
https://www.sax.co.uk/yanagisawa-sc991-curved-soprano-sax.ir

Yani horns are superbly built, fantastically in tune and reliable.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was looking at the yanasigawas on sax.co.uk but I only really play at home so I don't know if something so nice would be wasted on me 😂

Elkhart, I never really considered to be honest although they do look very appealing at their price i was questioning the durability of them though but where i am unfortunately I dont have the option to try them first. I'll look into both of those though, thank you so much for the suggestions!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,837 Posts
You will get a lot of opinions, but I bet that the majority will be for Yanagisawa and rightly so. You can also buy Yamaha the YSS 475 can be bought for €1000 upwards secondhand and you could even buy a better model.

I personally would favor a Yanagisawa.

Both curved and straight Yanagisawa are outstanding products and they deliver what they promise. Of course secondhand you will be saving a lot of money. If you buy the curved ones be aware that the old curved ones had a much straighter curve of the neck and the low keys on the left side and sometimes also the left palm keys of a (for me) awkward design.

There are cheaper alternatives to Yanagisawa.

I have played a Yanagisawa copy, for years, a Bauhaus Walstein AI Bronze, and honestly I couldn’t see (or hear) any difference with the Yanagisawa proper.

If you decide to buy one of those I would certainly buy the AI and would buy a secondhand one .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts