Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think James Bunte gets the attention and appreciation he has earned. Maybe the best HR piece I ever owned was made by him, an early Bunte 42, and as one who refaces mouthpieces, his work is in my opinion impeccable. Recently I sent him a NY Link that I feared was beyond hope. If the pictures here load successfully, you will see chips in the window, wide erratic tip rail, and an inconsistent faulty curve. I sent it to him with a note that if the piece was just too much work for what it was worth, both to me and to him, to go ahead and just send it back. The first two pictures I want to post are the "before" pictures (2017, 2018) the last three are the "after" pictures (2038, 2048,2086). This piece was a 7 star, which I feel is too large a tip for a large chamber mouthpiece. He took it down to 97. It plays much bigger. My only caveat is that it does compress the mouthpiece, so it is not interchangeable with my main piece, a Bunte non-NY STM. Not his fault, and I'm extremely happy with how this one came out. By the way, I get no special treatment for writing this, no discount or anything like that. Doing it because his name is not mentioned much on here, and he deserves some recognition.

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
‘2048”? Do you have a time machine?
I have a mouthpiece I keep thinking about sending him but I think I need to play some of his work before I decide.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whaler those numbers were JPG numbers, I didn't realize they did not automatically translate to SOTW. If I did have a time machine, I'd go back to the mid sixties and revisit some old haunts - Birdland, Slugs, the Half Note, etc. Drop in on Trane, Monk, and others.

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,307 Posts
+1 in James Bunte’s work. I have Tenor and Alto pieces of his 42 HR mouthpieces that play great!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts