Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was wondering what scales i would use if I was going to improvise with a Big Band? And also what would I use if I was going to improvise to some bepop? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

·
Premium Member
26,253 Posts
All of them.;)

The question you've asked does not have a simple answer.

I would advise getting a basic Jamey Aebersold method, Jerry Coker's 'Patterns for Jazz', and David Baker's 'Jazz Improvisation'.

Learn everything in these methods and books (it will probably take the rest of your life, if not longer), come up with your own way of playing, and you'll be able to play anything.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
844 Posts
1. Find a good teacher that communicates well and relates well to you and what you are wanting to do.

2. Practice, learn, and memorize your scales. Start with the major, then look at dominant 7ths. From there - everyone will have an opinion. :)

3. Practice, learn and memorize the arpeggios and chords that go with these scales.

4. Learn music theory so that you can recognize symbols, know what the symbols mean, and can play what the symbols represent.

This is a start. I'm sure other folks will have some great recommendations (and additions) from this point.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts