Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told to research some ii-V licks online; however, the only licks I can seem to find are 4 measures. One on ii, one on V and two on I. As nice as that is, I am finding a lot of ii-V-I's that dont necessarily fit in that format. Does anyone know of a resource where I can find patterns in half measures?

Thanks

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,491 Posts
As a general rule, most ii-V situations are either 2 bars (one bar for each chord) or 1 bar (2 beats to a chord); the I chord may or may not follow and when it does it can be 1 or 2 bars. I think you could spend a lot of time mastering those two scenarios (2-bar and 1-bar ii-Vs). However, it is often the case to have a few pick up notes in the preceding bar or you can even anticipate the ii-V change by starting it in the previous bar, say on the 'and of 3.' So you can experiment with that once you are comfortable with those chords.

Also using fragments of the bebop scale (adding the maj7th on an upbeat to the dom7th chord) and the b9 of the chord on the V7 chord helps smooth out the line, as you'll see in some of the Charles McNeal examples. Enclosures and passing tones help too. When you get good at this, you can sometimes forget about the ii chord and play a V7 line over the whole progression. With the caveat that the ii chord moving to the V adds some nice movement, so don't ignore it completely.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I was told to research some ii-V licks online; however, the only licks I can seem to find are 4 measures. One on ii, one on V and two on I. As nice as that is, I am finding a lot of ii-V-I's that dont necessarily fit in that format. Does anyone know of a resource where I can find patterns in half measures?

Thanks
What tunes have ii-V-I's in half measures? That's one beat per chord, not much to work with.

·
Registered
350 Posts
What tunes have ii-V-I's in half measures? That's one beat per chord, not much to work with.
The OP meant 2 beats of ii, two beats of V. As opposed to patterns with 4 beats (one measure) of ii, 4 beats of V, etc.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks
What tunes have ii-V-I's in half

measures? That's one beat per chord, not much to work with.
Specifically I was looking at "Misty".

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Specifically I was looking at "Misty".
Ok, just a misunderstanding. Pretty standard changes every 2 beats. I would call that a full measure ii-V, if you're talking in terms of measures.

Those are the easiest patterns IMO since you've got a 4 note runs that can cover most of the chord tones on the ii. Approaching the 3rd of the V like JL said works really well. Follow the 3rd with the b9, and you've got a great line with nice voice leading and really strong connection to the most important notes in the harmony.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts