Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
~Improvising means creating music that is spontaneous, of the moment, and uniquely your own. So think of it as the instrument becomes a process of self-discovery, finding out what your music really sounds like. You develop a period of looking within, stripping away the excess and listening for the simple voice that really is our own. It’s there, listen for it. I wish I had arrived at these ideas earlier in life. It would have saved me a lot of unnecessary toil. But like it is sometimes said, you are ready when you are ready. These are very important topics- are YOU ready?

Being able to improvise on I GOT RHYTHM changes appears much more as a puzzle or study that must be negotiated than as an opportunity look within and reach for new sounds you hear. Improvising means creating music that is spontaneous, of the now, and your own. It will not get played if you yourself don’t play it, and try.

You have to focus your practicing for maximum progress towards creating a powerful forward motion as a player. Add personal guidance of a master teacher and artist, and you’re poised to grow as a musician and as a performer. This is the way I learned with master players-educators like Charlie Mariano, Charlie Banacos ( I was lucky to study with Banacos since 1994 till 2010 ) Sal Nistico, Joe Viola, Andy McGhee and John LaPorta.These men were a beautiful category of a jazz pro who both knows what he is doing, and is willing to share.

IN A WORD- BASICS THAT WILL LAST YOUR ENTIRE CAREER!

Also check out the new ... TIM PRICE JAZZ VIDEO...captured/recorded and filmed last Monday by great friend/ former student Nathan Bellott. ENJOY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4LFnzsMYW0&feature=share

Before anything, you must love what you do. As Charles Bukowski said," You gotta have the guts." Do what you do and do it to the absolute best of your ability. Bukowski also said, " It’s no good quitting, there is always the smallest bit of light in the darkest of hells." This life can be a roller coaster. Sometimes you will make money,maybe great money. Often very little money and will struggle to get by. A strong work ethic is needed, as well as a strength of will. You also will have to be prepared when opportunity appears. Again- HARD WORK.The ethos behind lateral action is creativity coupled with productivity as the route for success, which also means creatively looking at our productivity. Perhaps sitting and squeezing out every drop of inspiration by sheer force isn’t the best way to get results.Like any productive creative process it’s all about balance and finding a way.

Nobody is entitled anything, remember that, it's HARD WORK to make a living as a musician. You must embrace the music with the pursuit of excellence.You earn it every cent you make. You'll get there by experience, and we ALL pay dues. These are things only time and a two thousand stupid gigs will teach you , or teaching a few days of fourth grade students for a few years. Don't complain-learn from every situation you find yourself in. We're only human- accept criticism without taking it personally. If you have an open mind, you'll learn and grow. You will never know all there is to know,always will be something new to learn.

Know this is a beautiful thing music, but it's also a business.Hang in there-it's no good quitting and your not entitled, but you have a vision in mind.

HTH

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
115 Posts
Tim, Thank you for your dedication. You speak to the importance of music and the deep searching that it requires. Man, I hear you. What we are doing (or at least trying to do) is a blessed thing. It is all about an inward journey that we attempt to share in communion with others. Anyway , thanks for your sincerity.

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tim, Thank you for your dedication. You speak to the importance of music and the deep searching that it requires. Man, I hear you. What we are doing (or at least trying to do) is a blessed thing. It is all about an inward journey that we attempt to share in communion with others. Anyway , thanks for your sincerity.
Thank you...that means a lot. The intensity in Bird's music or Mile's is case in point. As well as many others...Thanks for the kind words. I'm trying.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm sitting at work and thinking about last nights Big Band practice. I worked hard last night and blew pretty good...read down some difficult solis and played a couple of okay solos.
Most of all I enjoyed myself and the experience of playing music and interpreting musical compositions/arrangements of music that was written before I was born...which was 61 years ago.
Tim hit it on the mark and your words express exactly how I feel about where I am at in music. I find the self discovery part is most important and internally learning from work and experience.
I feel good when I pick up the horn. Thanks Tim for the inspiration to continue along the journey.

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sitting at work and thinking about last nights Big Band practice. I worked hard last night and blew pretty good...read down some difficult solis and played a couple of okay solos.
Most of all I enjoyed myself and the experience of playing music and interpreting musical compositions/arrangements of music that was written before I was born...which was 61 years ago.
Tim hit it on the mark and your words express exactly how I feel about where I am at in music. I find the self discovery part is most important and internally learning from work and experience.
I feel good when I pick up the horn. Thanks Tim for the inspiration to continue along the journey.

Thank you...It just takes inspiration, devotion to get to what you hear.
It accelerates enlightenment,expands understanding.
How much is enough? Music is infinite....keep on my friend keep on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts