Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,223 Posts
Looks like my tenor is a !962 not 1961. Oh well - plays the same. :) Thanks for you work putting together this revised list.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like my tenor is a !962 not 1961. Oh well - plays the same. :) Thanks for you work putting together this revised list.
If you would like to share the serial number of your saxophone with me, then I can confirm when it was made ... and thank you for the kind words.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,381 Posts
This is great Doug. And thanks for your continuing research into the history of Selmer.

·
5,223 Posts
If you would like to share the serial number of your saxophone with me, then I can confirm when it was made ... and thank you for the kind words.
9720x

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
So my Mk VI that got stolen in 1981 was a 1954. 56xxx. It had some SBA features like adjustment screws on both top and bottom stacks. I paid $1500 for it.

·
5,223 Posts
All the saxophones between 97200 and 97209 were shipped between Feb 1962 and May 1962.
Since my sax is a US Assembled version, would this ship date be from Paris in pieces for final assembly later in 1962?

·
Registered
156 Posts
A local Toronto store has a Mk6 for sale. The horn is in great shape and plays well. No where in the horn does the term Mk6 appear. When I questioned it the clerk informed me that it was a Mk6 made in France and shipped to London and to the US. The Selmer logo has Elkhart and London and made in France. The serial number is M95***.

Not quite sure if this horn is a Mk6.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My Mark VI alto is serial number 207,543. It has bow engraving indicative of european assembly and engraving. I would be curious what the database says about its initial manufacture.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a Tenor Serial # 55040, which appears to be a late 1954 SBA. I would be interested in information on this sax. I bought it from a friend and am playing it in a 60's rock band. The sound is wonderful, but it does have a couple of worn springs which prevent me from playing below low C.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,214 Posts
A local Toronto store has a Mk6 for sale. The horn is in great shape and plays well. No where in the horn does the term Mk6 appear. When I questioned it the clerk informed me that it was a Mk6 made in France and shipped to London and to the US. The Selmer logo has Elkhart and London and made in France. The serial number is M95***.

Not quite sure if this horn is a Mk6.
Forgive me as I'm only speaking based upon what I heard at Doug's lecture a few months ago. The "Mark VI" name was a US given name and it was only later in the mid or later 60's I believe when Paris started stamping them also as such.

·
Registered
11 Posts
1929 Model 26 Soprano is for sale on ebay.co.uk now. The sax is in Poland
The serial number is 9719
I failed utterly in inserting the quote from Dec 2018 where sn 9720 is a tenor!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,051 Posts
Where is it? I don't see anything in your post to download. Then again the post is two years old, so maybe that's why?
John, it is looking like all attachments fell off the table into the bit bucket when the website was renovated. It might come back, but if not, there is a lot of accumulated wisdom that will be lost from this site.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,376 Posts
John, it is looking like all attachments fell off the table into the bit bucket when the website was renovated. It might come back, but if not, there is a lot of accumulated wisdom that will be lost from this site.
Yeah, thanks for the explanation, George. That's a shame if we lose a lot of info.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts