Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't figure out what to do to help things click with my technique to be able to create unique melodies everytime I play. It feels like everything I do is reptitive, while I see other players taking a song and just ripping it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwEF1lNWdm4. I have been playing for about 14 years and my talent has gotten me thus far. Now it I have to figure out how to take things to the same level as the dude in this video. Well at least to be able make my own ideas connect and actually sound good and not be repetitive.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know what I want to sound like in the end, but have no idea the route to take in order to get there. I listened to Kenny G when I first started out, and I guess that did help me to improve my technique to this point. Also listening to Kirk Whalum helped out with my tonal quality, but now I have hit a wall of what to do to increase get my technical ability to the point as that dude in the video. It kind of gets to me that I know I have the talent to get even further, but just can't seem to make thinks click and to actually stop being redudant when it comes to my improving and to finally get to a point in my playing where I can actually go out and play and get noticed and people say hey this dude is awesome. Also for people to hear my sax and say hey that is iceman.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
787 Posts
If you feel like a lot of the things you do are repetitive, it is likely because you are are approaching the chords or tunes the same way each time. If you continue to learn your vocabulary, both harmonic and rhythmic, inside and out, you can approach your improvisations from many different angles. You can also approach your lines more as if you're singing (as mentioned above) if you have free command of your vocabulary and instrument.

It's also important to establish structure for phrases. The performance you referenced by Alex Hahn is based largely on a groove-type tune. Alex knows his instrument inside and out, and is able to advance through the development of each idea in a very structured manner, building idea after idea while at the same time establishing structure for the entire solo- an extraordinary amount of talent helps him do this!

Randy
www.randyhunterjazz.com
Online Jazz Lessons and Books
New Lesson: Shaping the Blues Scale
Lessons page: www.beginningsax.com/Jazz Improv Lessons.htm
Podcast Samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/saxtrax
Rhythm Changes Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrT0Xw_y9d0

·
Registered
89 Posts
One thing my teacher has me do that might help with the approaching from different angles is to play 1 chorus where you land on each new chord with a specific chord tone. Like if the tune was Autumn Leaves I might play one chorus straing every phrase on a root, the a 3rd, 5th, and 7th. that way u can play from almost any approach to a chod.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts