Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
The Marc Eychenne 'Catilene et Danse' is one of the most performed works in that combo. Written for Londeix there is a recording of the the latter playing it with the composer on the 'Potrait' box set.
Now that is a nice sounding work that is performed a lot, but in terms of historical significance you can't go past the Webern "Quartet'. For the combination of Tenor Sax, Violin, Clarinet and Cello. It is a significant work in our chamber music canon as well as in the composers oeuvre.
For works for sax and string quartet the Busch is worth a mention.

·
Registered
159 Posts
You should look into Anton Webern's Quartet op. 22 for Violin, Clarinet, Tenor Sax and Piano.

·
Registered
529 Posts
A common one is the Hartley Dance Suite - all the movements are Polish dances. It was written for and recorded by Larry Gwozdz (on Simply Gifts).

There's also a Quartet by Stephen Dankner. I believe the instrumentation was violin, alto sax, cello, piano. Talk to Brian Kauth - I know he's played it and could give you more info.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I believe Stephen Pollock did his master's thesis on the Webern way back when he was a grad student at NCSA. You might try contacting him.

James Umble performs in a trio (saxo/violin/piano) with two members of the Cleveland Orchestra. The Chambers and a number of other works have been written for them. You may want to contact him for information as well.

Mr. Pollock is at Duquesne University, and Dr. Umble is at Youngstown State University. If you happen to contact either or both of them, please give them my best.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Juan Orrego-Salas has four chamber works for saxophone. Here is a link to a Dissertation on his compositions.
http://ir.uiowa.edu/etd/417/ Regina Anne Parks

The Partita Opus 100 is a great piece. I recorded it and the Eychenne and like them both a lot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts