Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for information on the Imperial Band Instrument Manufacturing Company - Tenor Sax. I recently purchased one of these and it plays amazing! It looks almost identical to my Martin Handcraft except the F# twill key is just above the right thumb rest and the bell is much larger around. Great sound, just a little less edge than the Handcraft but can really tear it up if pushed. I have heard that Buescher may have stenciled some of these... and that Buescher and Martin did some coop work at one time. I have also heard that Martin bought Imperial later on. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. In any case... I believe this one is a keeper!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
I believe these were often Buescher stencils until around 1928. Then the company was bought by Martin and I think they made them after that.

Here's more I found on the internet:

"Imperial was a company with mysterious origins. It was probably a group of Keefer employees that started their own company making instruments for the student market.

Imperial Instrument Co. was formed in August of 1922. It was located at 643 Elmira St. in Williamsport. In 1926 the business was moved to 3 Maynard St. in South Williamsport which is just across the Susquehanna River. They were in business until 1935.

A 1926 ad in the South Williamsport High School yearbook has the following:

Imperial Band Inst. Mfg. Co. "Gold Tone" Instruments are made especially for School Bands and Orchestras."
And here appears to be an Imperial Trumpet:

http://www.horn-u-copia.net/picture.php?show=./instruments/Imperial/Imperial-trumpet.jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts