Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been checking this page for over a month and i think that mayority of you guys are wasting your time.I'm not american I'm from cuba,and back there we didn't have any good mouthpieces or reeds and i can tell that all the saxophone cuban players are really good ,they are on the top level.I'm 33 years old and i have been playing saxophone/clarinet/flute and piano since i was 9 years old i live now in miami fl and i can tell that i have played with everybody down here.i think that you guys worry too much about the mouthpieces and reeds and the only think you have to do is study,from 4 to 16 hours at day and listen alot music.you kids in this country have everything but that doesn't mean that because of that you are going to be a good musician.stop worrying about reeds and mouthpieces or what type of saxophone is for jazz or classic if you have an instrument in a good condition that's more than enough.And remember..the sound is personal....stop wasting your time in the internet and start blowing your sax.that is what you have to do.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
Know what? You're right. But to respond to your original topic: May I suggest a nice nap?

·
Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008
10,792 Posts
RootyTootoot said:
Know what? You're right. But to respond to your original topic: May I suggest a nice nap?
It's called a Siesta. It's about that time.

My Great-Grandmother would say: "He's getting meshugey, he's tired."

·
8,322 Posts
martysax said:
My Zayde would start with the "Ah, gay kack napin top! Drey meshugey en kop!" and leave the room.
Is that someone talking hawaiian again? :twisted: ;)

·
Registered
241 Posts
This is probably going to be a bad thing to say.

On the shallow end I'd say yes I totally agree.

However I do also believe that if you are already a good player then having a bad horn in bad condition and a bad mouthpiece will hold you back from showing that. If you had the best equipment for you then it would be easier to reflect your playing.

That being said - no one at my university can play my dying 10 M which is getting a total overhaul in 2 weeks... But I play gigs on it. It has leaks so big that you can see them. I think that when I get it back from the shop I will probably sound alot better than I do now.

·
Registered
790 Posts
You guys should spend some time in Amsterdam, be prepared you both be understood by the misjpoge (dutch spelling):)

·
Registered
323 Posts
He's got a point. I think most of us on SOTW are too obsessed with gear. If you could spend an hour on SOTW or an hour practicing, the latter would likely yield greater results. On the other hand, this forum offers great discussion on topics that can help many sax players, so it's a double-edged sword, blessing and a curse, or whatever cliche you prefer. While many of the discussions are healthy and educational, sometimes we need to just take a step back and realize that that fantasy mouthpiece/horn won't replace practicing or experience. But, I'm fairly sure that sentiment has been expressed approximately 2.47 million times on this board, so, TELESFORO, you're preaching to the choir (more cliches!). If I may point out, you don't have to read the topics you're complaining about. Skip to the good stuff.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
RootyTootoot said:
Is that someone talking hawaiian again? :twisted: ;)
Yiddish is always a treat to hear haha.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
jacobeid said:
Yiddish is always a treat to hear haha.
Not if you live in the West Bank. :yikes!:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry about that

ratracer said:
Uh, Telesforo, not the way to introduce yourself and say hi to this group. :doubt: :oops:
HI,Hello,what's up,what's happening,que paso,que vola asere in good cuban.I'm telesforo(Rudy is my real name)i live in miami and my gear is:soprano sax cannonball (curved)otto link HR#7*hemke#3 alto sax yamaha yss62 beechler bellite#7 rico la voz medium hard,tenor sax selmer mark VI(silver)dukkof LD#8 lavoz medium hard...i wish you all the best....

·
8,322 Posts
Carl H. said:
Many of us come here when we can't be practicing.
And, indeed, plenty of us come here to avoid practising - as you suggested earlier..;) . But 16 hours? Don't you cubans ever enjoy a nice siesta? Hola y bienvenido!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,484 Posts
TELESFORO said:
HI,Hello,what's up,what's happening,que paso,que vola asere in good cuban.I'm telesforo(Rudy is my real name)i live in miami and my gear is:soprano sax cannonball (curved)otto link HR#7*hemke#3 alto sax yamaha yss62 beechler bellite#7 rico la voz medium hard,tenor sax selmer mark VI(silver)dukkof LD#8 lavoz medium hard...i wish you all the best....
Welcome Telesforo - don't worry about these guys! If they give you a hard time, they probably like you! If they don't, well, you'll know for sure sooner rather than later! :D You are right about alot of talk about stuff but this is SOTW and there's a lot of passion about saxes, mouthpiecs, and etc. They (we) can take as well as give out constructive "criticism"! :)

1 - 20 of 76 Posts