Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be the test dummy. I'll put on Metronome on line on and force myself to 5 minutes of overtones and 5 to 10 minutes very long tones or slow arpeggios on sax daily the way i have with flute for months . My flute sounds to me incredible. the depth of tone is much much better flexibility is better, expression is better, and I think its from sitting on that B int the staff for 5 minutes daily . long enough to alter my air stream and change my oral cavity . Its hard to explain .but im startled now by some flute things i play. I hear myself and say. , thats pretty good, I wonder who's playing that flute line

. So I ve seen what the overtones and long tones do for my flute. Its hard but I will now also dedicate 10 minutes daily to do this for sax. I'll try it for weeks and then If im stuck where I am and dont' get better I'll tell you. I did do a gig last night on a new mouth piece and was disappointed . I had to play louder than I normally practice and this piece got shrill loud which bothered me.So its back to my Northway which is a notch too bright and i'll have to alter my chops and long tones to get it full of overtones and soulful. My favorite players can play just a few notes and I stop and notice how nice it sounds. (Evertte Harp, Sanborn, Allbright, Cannonball, Garrett, Miles many many more) So thats what i want to aim for. maybe at 64 I should say screw it , im good enough. But i'm jealous ,, I want that commanding tone. So if it worked on flute I hope it works on Sax. K I'll keep you posted with Practice with Kride vids. K

·
5,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The reason i went back to the northway is that its about the same loud or soft. Doesn't get shrill when pushed and i always push.. Whats been hard for the 19 years I've been in the Jami Jamison band is that im never monitored so I have to have a fat , decent tone off mic and then not too bright mic ed. Thats the house I live in and its okay. I'll figure it out K

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I'm a flute played who also plays sax.

I can bring my flute chops back way easier than sax after a break.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Sometimes breaks are good. That's if you mainly remember the good things you learned and forget the frustrations you had and get back to what you really like about playing your instrument. I never loose my sax chops...but flute takes a few hours or a day or two.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,357 Posts
Whats been hard for the 19 years I've been in the Jami Jamison band is that im never monitored so I have to have a fat , decent tone off mic and then not too bright mic ed. Thats the house I live in and its okay. I'll figure it out K
Hey Keith, I don't play flute so can't comment on the main topic, but just as an aside, why not use a monitor if you need one? Years back I bought a really high quality JBL monitor that I use with my band (when I play miked, which is the case on most, but not all, gigs) because I want to hear what my miked sound is and also hear it through a quality speaker. Before I got that monitor I used a plastic 'soundback' monitor that clips to the mic and reflects the acoustic sound. That works great for hearing yourself but it doesn't give you any idea of what the mic is doing to your sound. Still, it's a good, low-tech solution to hearing yourself. You mention your "off mic" tone; I would say having a "fat, decent tone" off mic is the key to having a decent tone on mic, assuming you have a decent mic and a good sound system.

Quick follow up: Just last night I played a gig where we used the house P.A. and monitors; the monitors were cheap speakers with a poor, muddy sound and man it was struggle having to use them. I should have brought mine along to use instead.

·
5,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do carry a self powered speaker in my car for flute gigs and I could set that up for sax. All that being said I am now in day four of my self appointed 30 day tone challenge. I'll get my sax tone to get better if it kills me. Last night I was using the showboat which is darker and not as fat as my Earnie Northway. So I went back to the Northway in practice today. I guess I'd rather bring back a bright tone rather than push a stuffy tone.
Hey Keith, I don't play flute so can't comment on the main topic, but just as an aside, why not use a monitor if you need one? Years back I bought a really high quality JBL monitor that I use with my band (when I play miked, which is the case on most, but not all, gigs) because I want to hear what my miked sound is and also hear it through a quality speaker. Before I got that monitor I used a plastic 'soundback' monitor that clips to the mic and reflects the acoustic sound. That works great for hearing yourself but it doesn't give you any idea of what the mic is doing to your sound. Still, it's a good, low-tech solution to hearing yourself. You mention your "off mic" tone; I would say having a "fat, decent tone" off mic is the key to having a decent tone on mic, assuming you have a decent mic and a good sound system.

Quick follow up: Just last night I played a gig where we used the house P.A. and monitors; the monitors were cheap speakers with a poor, muddy sound and man it was struggle having to use them. I should have brought mine along to use instead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts