Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ll admit it, Im not that good at setups for saxophones. I know that setup depends on the person but I would like something to give me ideas. So if you play on a yamaha custom z tenor, what is your setup.

Side Note: does anyone know any mouthpieces that go well with legere reeds

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
What kind of sounds are you looking for? The Z is a rather flexible horn depending on reeds, mpc, and even neck options.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
BTW I play an older 82Z with a Barone neck. Mpc is a Westcoast Sax/Theo Wanne MofoII .110 with either a Bari * soft or Legere 2 3/4 reeds.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I play an 82z with V1 sterling silver neck and using Legere 2.0 or 2.25. My current favorite mpcs for this are Barone Super New York 7* and Barone Jazz 8. Also like Jody Jazz DVNY 7* and hard rubber Tenney Jazzmaster. I find the 82z to be pretty mpc friendly.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
When I'm playing more straight ahead gigs then I use a Link STM that Brian Powell reduced from a 9* to .110 leaving the roll-over baffle. Still use the same reeds though. The more I play this setup the better it sounds. Since I typically play R&B/Funk gigs I default to the MofoII but on my next gig I'm going to try the STM since it's proving to be pretty flexible.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Some years ago I tried out a Yamaha Custom tenor pretty extensively.

It is a fantastically good horn and any setup you want to use will sound great on it, if you can make it sound great. What I mean is that there should be nothing to shy away from or try to aim toward. If you want to use a low baffle "Classic Jazz" sounding piece, or a high baffle grass cutting rock and roll screamer, or a Caravan classical mouthpiece, the horn will take all of them and work great.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
And so it goes . . :whistle:

·
Registered
543 Posts
I use a G3 neck. I find in my case that both the Theo Wanne Ambika 7* and the Link STM NY 6* go well with the Legere Classic #2.

·
Registered
120 Posts
On my 82Z U tenor I use the V1 neck with a Doc Tenney Perfected Otto Link STM 7* with D'Addario Select Jazz (filed) 3 Medium reeds.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,927 Posts
And so it goes . . :whistle:
Yeah, I know what you’re thinking, Gary, but I don’t think anyone has ever asked this question before.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts