Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, SOTW! Since I hadn't officially done so on this forum yet, I thought I'd announce that I'm teaching some private lessons once again since I finally have a proper home studio environment. (One of the big perks of relocating back to Austin after years in New York City!) Here's a little slice of my CV.

•I was a founding member of multi-Grammy-winning group Snarky Puppy, appearing on their first several albums as a saxophonist and composer and performing with them intermittently until around 2013...

•...before my own group, Progger, got off the ground! Currently with Ropeadope Records, Progger has four critically-acclaimed albums that have been well-received by the international jazz/funk/soul/fusion community. We've performed supporting Parliament/Funkadelic, Snarky Puppy, Ghost-Note, the Funky Knuckles, and a bunch more.

•I studied at the University of North Texas and recorded four albums with the One O'clock Lab Band. Won a couple Down Beat awards and studied with saxophonist Jim Riggs, pianist Stefan Karlsson, guitarist Fred Hamilton, and bassist Lynn Seaton, while also learning from a bunch of insanely gifted fellow students. I also taught saxophone, improvisation, and composition/arranging to undergraduate and graduate students while in school.

•As a session musician I've recorded with Grammy winner Bill Laurance, indie icons Okkervil River, and Dr. Dre-approved Sly5thAve and the Club Casa Chamber Orchestra, among a bunch of others. Plus thousands of live gigs with all kinds of folks.

•I'm an experienced pianist and piano teacher, as well, so I often help fellow horn players with ultra-important-and-useful keyboard fundamentals.

If you'd like to set something up or have any questions, just toss an email to [email protected] and we can see if it's a good fit. Cheers!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, in light of all the quarantining going around, I figured this would be a good time to update my website with a small "lessons info" page.

https://briandonohoemusic.com/lessons/

We're all gonna have a lot of down time, whether we want to or not. If you're curious about my take on improvising, writing, technique, harmony, melody, chord-scale relationships, ear development, or what Wayne Shorter had for breakfast on this day in 1965, drop me a line.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts