Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read all the information I can find on what alto sax to buy and I am still no further forward!

It seemed to me that the best beginner alto sax to get would be a yamaha, 275 seems to be the new one here. Cheapest I have found new is £500 and I think this seems good as they appear to hold there value should I wish to sell it on.

However I am really worried about my budget at the moment, I am not trying to sell sob stories, but my other half has lost his job and to say I have a few issues in my life right now is putting it mildly! :( Therefore I think the sax would contribute towards my therapy and I don't want the money side of things to hold me back. So basically what I need to find out is what are my alternatives? I don't want to buy something cheap and nasty but really don't have a clue where to start. :?

Now if that doesn't sound sad and desperate I don't know what will but hey at least I have my purpleness and cackle ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,025 Posts
I think Pete Thomas could recommend an inexpensive sax available in your country. Try sending him a PM for advice, he has found a few inexpensive gems which are very affordable. Should it not work out for you, you could probably sell it here for little loss.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
"Pete" (as above) is good advice.

If you would like a vintage sax i have a couple you could have for under £300 which would be better than cheap ebay crap. You should be able to get an ebay Yamaha for £350-£400 though.

Advice: do some research on "beginner saxes" (using the search thingy).

Question: Did you get your white stiletoes yet? :twisted: ;)

Comment: sorry you've had a tough time lately. all the best. :)

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Carl for that I will contact him.

Mr Toot your back again I see with your quick witted comments I see! But then I do appreciate your support and you make me laugh. Plus I can always cast me spells on you later teehehe.

Your offer sounds tempting...tell me more.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
Kohlert 57 alto: £300 ovno. (if you want it, PM me). You can research the model here or at saxpics.com

·
Registered
386 Posts
i think Alan (cmelodysax) is pretty impressed with the Aquilasax alto. Maybe he'll chime in on it. Or read his recoew on his web site.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Hey Ms. Witch,
Why not consider renting/hiring in the meantime instead of buying?
If you haven't seen this yet, have a look:
http://www.saxophones.co.uk/index2.html
Click on "Trevor James" then click (Most available to hire)
Hope it works out for you.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts