Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm returning from a near decade hiatus,i want to purchase a sax and need advice

I have a small amount of experience at around 8 years on various saxes, I'm looking to buy a tenor and after doing some research on various forums the only real decision I've made is to look around locally. I'll most likely be playing by myself at home as a hobby. so here is my question. What tenor should I be looking at with a soft budget of 2k, im fine with vintage and don't have any preference for brands beyond it being a known good one. I live near Houston texas btw if anyone knows of a good sax ship in the area

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,187 Posts
I would get a Yanagisawa.

I mean I *did* get a Yanagisawa. Great saxes. Not too expensive.

Dat
Sax
Man

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I would second Yanagisawa for the price point.
I believe I even say one on eBay for $1,800 yesterday.
*checking ebay*
https://www.ebay.com/itm/372653940432
There is the horn of your dreams for under budget.
Sometimes Fleming instrument repair in a houston has nice Saxes. But no tenors right now and no deals like the one I just shared.

·
Registered
530 Posts
A Yanagisawa would definitely be a great option, but it may be a bit hard to find, especially if you're looking locally. Another great option in your price range would be a Yamaha 62. For under $2,000, you can't go wrong with either horn.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would second Yanagisawa for the price point.
I believe I even say one on eBay for $1,800 yesterday.
*checking ebay*
https://www.ebay.com/itm/372653940432
There is the horn of your dreams for under budget.
Sometimes Fleming instrument repair in a houston has nice Saxes. But no tenors right now and no deals like the one I just shared.

That does look good and from a bit of checking seems like a good deal, sadly my budget isn't fully available yet. Thanks for the suggestion though i'll be sure to keep the Yanagisawa in mind when I the money in hand.

A Yanagisawa would definitely be a great option, but it may be a bit hard to find, especially if you're looking locally. Another great option in your price range would be a Yamaha 62. For under $2,000, you can't go wrong with either horn.
Yeah, I'd like to playtest before buying and as far as I know there isn't much of a used sax scene in Houston.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
That does look good and from a bit of checking seems like a good deal, sadly my budget isn't fully available yet. Thanks for the suggestion though i'll be sure to keep the Yanagisawa in mind when I the money in hand.

Yeah, I'd like to playtest before buying and as far as I know there isn't much of a used sax scene in Houston.

http://2ndending.com/saxes.html

Get a tenor NOW. Buy from someone reliable. Start playing and save your money for your dream horn.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes to the Yamaha. I have been told that the Yamahs are very consistent and that the 62 line is among the best deals you can get (with new horns). The 62 line is also very famous. So if you buy one (e.g. used) and are not satisfied, you will get rid of the horn. This could be harder if you choose some more exotic brand.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts