Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang, if you're gonna be in NYC this weekend, I'm playing with Jon Hendricks on Saturday night. Hendricks just turned 90 last Friday and we're doing the opening night concert of [email protected]'s 2011-2012 season. I'm leading an 8-piece band that will back up Jon and his guests Diane Reeves and Booby McFerrin. Jimmy Heath's big band will play the 2nd half of the show.

Here's the deal: http://jalc.org/concerts/details309a.asp?EventID=2635

·
2,319 Posts
Hey, not bad for a third tier sax player!:mrgreen:

No, really- congrats. That sounds like a pretty classy gig to have landed. Have fun.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,209 Posts
Pretty freakin' cool...

·
Registered
402 Posts
That sounds like an awesome opportunity! You know if there will be any sort of web-feed?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Booby McFerrin[/url]
Correction: Bobby McFerrin... who IMO is an out-of-this-world musician and a classy guy himself. I would love to hear him live... playing with him will (probably) never happen to me, but I sure hope you have a blast! :)

·
Administrator
17,277 Posts
Would love to see it, but it's a bit far from Amsterdam [rolleyes]!

Just saw last week a registration on Dutch television of a concert with Jon Hendricks, Al Jarreau & Kurt Elling with the Dutch Metropole Orchestra as played on the North Sea Jazz Festival 2011 and Jon was really really amazing (same for Al and Kurt, but Jon was IMO the best).

Good luck with this great concert Barry :).

·
2,870 Posts
Would love to see it, but it's a bit far from Amsterdam [rolleyes]!

Just saw last week a registration on Dutch television of a concert with Jon Hendricks, Al Jarreau & Kurt Elling with the Dutch Metropole Orchestra as played on the North Sea Jazz Festival 2011 and Jon was really really amazing (same for Al and Kurt, but Jon was IMO the best).

Good luck with this great concert Barry :).
You can find the whole concert on the dutch radio 6 website btw.

·
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Correction: Bobby McFerrin... who IMO is an out-of-this-world musician and a classy guy himself. I would love to hear him live... playing with him will (probably) never happen to me, but I sure hope you have a blast! :)
Ooops. Yes, Bobby McFerrin as opposed to the afore mentioned "Booby" McFerrin. One is a gifted jazz singer, the other must be some exotic dancer. Anyway, I've only worked with McFerrin once before in 1996 or so. We did some kind of TV special with Marcus Roberts. He was a gas.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
Even though they miss important details the event got a nice listings notice in the Times:
★ An Evening With Jimmy Heath and Jon Hendricks (Saturday) The first concert in Jazz at Lincoln Center’s fall season will feature two elder statesmen of the music — Mr. Heath, a saxophonist, is 84, and Mr. Hendricks, a vocalist, just turned 90 — along with guests like the drummer Lewis Nash and the trumpeter Terell Stafford. The evening’s workhorse will be Mr. Heath’s big band; the biggest source of star power, besides the honorees, will come from two of Mr. Hendricks’s inheritors, Bobby McFerrin and Dianne Reeves. At 8 p.m., Rose Theater, Frederick P. Rose Hall, Jazz at Lincoln Center, 60th Street and Broadway, (212) 258-9800, jalc.org; $30 to $120. (Chinen)

But you gotta give us out of towners more lead time if you expect us to come down for your gigs....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts