Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know good arrangements for a saxophone trio?
it should be on a professional level and nothing jazzy. can absolutely be contemporary music.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Doo-Dah, by William Albright

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
can be arrangements or original compositions.
i doesn't matter what instruments are used. 3 different saxes, 3 of the same kind, any combination.
it's really very open.

·
Registered
50 Posts
bernesax said:
does anyone know good arrangements for a saxophone trio?
it should be on a professional level and nothing jazzy. can absolutely be contemporary music.
If you are open to baroque transcriptions, here is a small collection of trios for either SAT or SAB:

http://www.classicalsax.com/Ensembles/Trios.htm

I heard that the Bach Trio Sonata II was played last year on a senior recital at Ithaca College.

·
Registered
58 Posts
There is a work from composer Gerald Shapiro that qualifies:

Gerald SHAPIRO
4 FUGUES
3 saxophones
Reference: GB8263
ISMN Code: M-043-08263-7
Duration: 7 mn 30 s - Price without VAT: 18.19 euros

It's published with Billaudot

·
Registered
529 Posts
I've been working on trio rep here at USM, so this is something I know a bit about. This is what we looked at:

"Trio" by Franz Tourniez, ATB, Poulenc-ish and quite fun
pnoxoud by Michael Denhoff, ATB or SATB or solo, hard but awesome
The Three Chairs by Hans Kox, ATB, also very hard but awesome
Rough Winds Do Shake the Darling Buds by Eric Moe, ATB, minimalist

I also second whoever suggested the Doo-Dah by Albright, AAA.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
Mark Taggart did a bunch I think were entiled a "Round of Trios" - very cool!! I think Dorn Published them

Charles

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I second 'The Three Chairs' by Kox. A friend of mine did it on his DM reciate here at IU and it was spectacular!

Steve P

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
Tutor Memories by Lee Patrick

·
Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,945 Posts
The James Hook trios for 3 flutes work very well for three like saxophones. I have played most of them with three altos. They are from the Baroque era.

Steve

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
1,010 Posts
Steve P said:
I second 'The Three Chairs' by Kox. A friend of mine did it on his DM reciate here at IU and it was spectacular!

Steve P
Is there a recording available of this piece?
Thanks in advance!

Steve C

A

·
0 Posts
Hi, I have a trio by french composer Pierre-Phillipe Bauzin, for two altos and one tenor.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Go to windmusicplus.com they have all kinds of sax trio stuff. My family bought a lot of ATB from them. The gazebo series stuff arranged by Bill Holcombe are awesome. Most by Holcombe are ATB w/ alternate parts which is great. Sometimes the little one(yoiugest daughter) plays the optional soprano part on the ATB stuff.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
http://windmusicplus.safeshopper.com/389/cat389.htm?74 We have the Entertainer,stars and stripes forever,Whispering,Indian summer,poor butterfly,look for the silver lining, and jesu joy of man's desiring(all araanged Holcombe). We also have Tribute to JB,Sea sons,Tudor memories and others by Lee Patrick.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts