Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This saxophone was my great grandfather's. I think it's from 1929 but not sure. The serial number is 37435. An A appears above the serial number and an L is below. I believe the A means Alto, but what is the L for? Below is a link to an image gallery of the horn. Can anyone confirm Whether it's brass or silver?

https://imgur.com/gallery/TjNoAjM

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,438 Posts
Welcome to SOTW. What a nice family item to have. All saxophones are brass. What you have is silver plated brass. And appears to be In good condition. Pan American (Conn) was known for good quality plating. Take some time to learn about what you have before you attempt any cleaning. I don’t see the neck in the picture. Are you a player?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I believe that one of the 'tells' is the way the left palm keys are made: either with posts (as stops) or feet integrated/cast into the keys (like this one). the latter is later, perhaps around '28 and beyond.

Anyone care to corroborate or pshhawww, feel free.

·
4,438 Posts
I believe that one of the 'tells' is the way the left palm keys are made: either with posts (as stops) or feet integrated/cast into the keys (like this one). the latter is later, perhaps around '28 and beyond.

Anyone care to corroborate or pshhawww, feel free.
Interesting when I first loaded pictures it only showed the picture of the one in case. Grrr. I see all + 5 if you click on “5more” now.
I don’t know the Pan-Americans that well. I know the patent date is for the drawn tone holes. I don’t remember if the pan Americans had rolled tone holes. This also has no high F key. So yeah I think you’re on the right track looking at the configuration of the palm keys. Left pinky table may also furnish some clues. Depending on the angle of the light in the photos it also looks like it may have a gold wash Bell. Unusual for a Pan American.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm thinking about selling this horn as I'm not a saxophone player myself and I'd like to allow someone else to give it new life. Any ideas on what an appropriate price may be?

Would it be advised to clean this myself before selling? Is cleaning a saxophone something that can be done from reading instructions?

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,620 Posts
Value: sadly, not much. This was a bargain Brand back then,
and there is very little demand for these.

I have the matching tenor. Fun to play, with a big and bold sound.

Sorry it is not better news!

Dat
Sax
Man

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,620 Posts
Oh, and DO NOT CLEAN IT. Or modify it. As is, assuming there is no neck,
It might be worth something. If you start messing with it, it becomes some old, unloved sax parts, not a complete project saxophone. Just saying.

·
4,438 Posts
Datsaxman; the neck and sax is complete,including two period OE mouthpieces. All the Pictures don’t load always.
JRM0015. I don’t recommend cleaning either. Value.You’re better off putting it back in the case and storing in a cool dry place like it has been. It’s a hobby horn most likely never to be seen on stage. Keep it !

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Super Action 80 Tenor, Yamaha Vito YAS-21 prototype, Kessler Soprano, Superba II Bari, Fender J-Bass
4,908 Posts
Looks like a New Wonder 1 stencil. Great altos, though sometimes they "motorboat" on the low end due to a bow that's too large. Quick fix, and a great player by any measurable standard.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Super Action 80 Tenor, Yamaha Vito YAS-21 prototype, Kessler Soprano, Superba II Bari, Fender J-Bass
4,908 Posts
Yours is satin silver, but the engravings are polished smooth. One of many finish options that Conn offered during this time period.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts